Landlord reference fee

Hi, I was a South Yorkshire housing association tenant and am now looking to private rent I have been told I need a reference from SYHA and they are wanting £50 to do this, is this the norm? I didn't think it would be that much to be honest!

When I moved from a council place to private rent, I was already paying Blundells hundreds of pounds for their reference and credit search. I told them I wouldn't pay extra to get a reference from the council and just showed them my edited bank statement and rent sheet for proof I paid on time. They grumbled but accepted it.

Hi, I was a South Yorkshire housing association tenant and am now looking to private rent I have been told I need a reference from SYHA and they are wanting £50 to do this, is this the norm? I didn't think it would be that much to be honest!

You don't need a reference - I mean what sort of landlord thinks that getting a reference from a housing association is a sensible way of deciding whether to rent to you?

You don't need a reference - I mean what sort of landlord thinks that getting a reference from a housing association is a sensible way of deciding whether to rent to you?

A sensible landlord gets references from whoever their tenant used to rent from, to confirm that they're responsible tenants. If that's a housing association, then yes you want a reference from the housing association.