Insurance cancelled

So lets say someone annoys me really bad. I could ring up their insurer and pretend to be them and cancel their insurance? Ive rung my own insurer up a few times and never had to give my policy number so as long as i know their name age dob and address then i can stitch them up? The fact they have no insurance is an automatic crime?

More or less. You must be insured against third party use [1] and if not it's illegal. IF the insurance company cancel, all they have to do is inform you by post to your address and it take effect 24 hours later which is of little use if you are on holiday for example.

More or less. You must be insured against third party use [1] and if not it's illegal. IF the insurance company cancel, all they have to do is inform you by post to your address and it take effect 24 hours later which is of little use if you are on holiday for example.

More or less wont cut it im afraid. If a mistake can be proved and the mistake lies with the insurer there is no way anyone would be stuck with the bill. There would be outcry.

why an accident, if you got pulled by the cops for driving while uninsured, as shown up on there recognition thing in there car, i am sure the company admiral would have sorted it, you where insured some body made a mistake.

I wonder had there been an accident during the week he was technically not insured, would Admiral simply say.....Oh yeah...he was insured?

I think probably not....We're all very well aware that insurers will wriggle out of any claim, if they possibly can, and they most certainly won't backdate the effective insurance date.

Can I ask the OP if on the new policy document, the effective insurance date and time run concurrently with the end of the previous one? I think most probably not...So effectively he was driving illegally during the intervening week.

So lets say someone annoys me really bad. I could ring up their insurer and pretend to be them and cancel their insurance? Ive rung my own insurer up a few times and never had to give my policy number so as long as i know their name age dob and address then i can stitch them up? The fact they have no insurance is an automatic crime?

I think it was on that traffic police programme that was filmed in Sheffield a couple of years ago - the police stopped a car because it came up on their database as uninsured. It was being driven by a someone who'd split up with their partner, and unbeknown to them the ex had cancelled their insurance.

I'm pretty sure in the programme the police were saying that it was up to the drive to know whether a policy had been cancelled, but this poor sod had paid up for the year and it never crossed their mind that it would be taken back!

Read my post about what it cost me.

I read it but im not sure if i can believe it or not. Im not trying to be rude just honest.

---------- Post added 26-02-2015 at 18:00 ----------

I should change insurance then.

Go for it. They gave me a really good price too. About £100 cheaper than the next cheapest with no loss of extras.

Perhaps I should be more clear.

YOU should change insurance, because otherwise someone might phone up and cancel it for you.

---------- Post added 26-02-2015 at 20:26 ----------

"If I were you" is the end to the common sentence structure that you apparently misunderstood.