Tuckwoods Restaurant

I went a couple of times many years ago. I recently walked down Surrey street to discover that it had gone. I never knew. When did it cease to exist? I remember on one occasion I went there for dinner they had a live band playing in the background.

I was once taken there bya new boyfriend who was trying to impress me.

Unfortunatley, my then mad goth hairdo failed to impress the other rather laah de daah clientel and the whole meal was spent with us being whispered about.

We never went back!!

Having said that, the food was excellent.

I didn't realise it had closed.

Sorry to hear Tuckwoods has now gone the way of so much of Sheffields heritage, as an ex pat I am not up to date with latest moves in the old place. It was allways a bit of an up market place, lovely food, well served, and allways the choice of a proper sweet (ie; something with custard!) we used to go to Tuckwoods for dinner before going to the concerts at the City Hall. Happy days.

• 3 weeks later...

My late mother worked at Tuckwoods when it was not only a very posh restaurant,but high class store too,located in those days in Fargate,where Marks and Spencer are now.Mum had the grand title of "Stillroom Maid!,and used to tell of us of all the stars of the day appearing at the Lyceum and Empire theatres coming in for lunch or afternoon tea.

Yes, it was bought by Massarella's in about 2000, and they ran it for a while under the Tuckwoods name, before they sold the lease to the people who now run Maso, although Massarella's kept the Tuckwoods name.

Maso's actually very good, a cut above the average Italian. Unfortunately, no one knows it's there.

I'd like to see the Tuckwoods name come back at some point. Maybe I should get into catering.

Before I was disabled, I went for meals there. (eleven years ago, so that'd be long before the Massarellas takeover)

the food was good.

However there are steps up, into the building, then, when you get into the eating area, there are steps down, and my 'chair won't "do" steps. so i have not been able to get into the building for some years. which is a shame, as I enjoyed going there.

PT

18 years ago, I got married at 9:30am on a Saturday morning at the register office. We had a wedding breakfast at Tuckwoods for our guests. My new sister-in-law was/is vegan. They brought her breakfast with BACON on it. When she complained, they took it away and brought a new meal. However, all they had done was take off the bacon, you could see the greasy stain where it had been :rolleyes:

Archived