Plain packaging for tobacco..on its way

Surely the problem for genuine stockists is the number of people who BUY the knock off goods.

correct, but the blame for that lies with the greed of every Government . the more they tax tobacco , the more people will turn to buying knock off at half the price ,and the more the counterfeiters will flood the market knowing there is an ever increasing market for the smuggled cigs and bacca.

You're honestly not that naive are you aliceBB?

Well done.

You can't take the stick out for 1 minute can you?
...doesn't make sense.

You really can be a spiteful person when you want to be. It's a shame, cos you're normally quite sensible and usually come across as quite a clever person, but as soon as someone mentions smoking, all logic, reasoning and self restraint goes out of the window......like smoke, ironically!

Please explain why expressing the view that smoking/rolling thousands of cigarettes is a waste of a life, makes me 'spiteful'. Bit of an overreaction on your part!

I agree with you that when it comes to discussions about smoking, there is a conspicuous absence of rationality...but it's on the part of smokers. (Inevitably, given that it is an inherently destructive and antisocial activity, and thus impossible to justify). Unless you can come up with one logical argument why the utility of smoking exceeds its harm?

If you still smoke, are you still pretending to your son that you don't, by the way?

Well done.

...doesn't make sense.

Please explain why expressing the view that smoking/rolling thousands of cigarettes is a waste of a life, makes me 'spiteful'. Bit of an overreaction on your part!

I agree with you that when it comes to discussions about smoking, there is a conspicuous absence of rationality...but it's on the part of smokers. (Inevitably, given that it is an inherently destructive and antisocial activity, and thus impossible to justify). Unless you can come up with one logical argument why the utility of smoking exceeds its harm?

If you still smoke, are you still pretending to your son that you don't, by the way?

My son is 4. He doesn't need to know. When he's old enough to know, and if I still smoke, I'll tell him the truth. Personally, i'm down to about 5 a week. However, if someone wants to smoke, let them smoke. It might pee you off, but it doesn't mean they're any less of a person than you. Smoking isn't going to disappear.

And, back on topic.....plain packaging doesn't work.

Edited by Bonzo77

And, back on topic.....plain packaging doesn't work.

You have not answered my questions.

However, if plain packaging does not deter smokers, why are the tobacco companies getting so aerated about it, then?

However, if plain packaging does not deter smokers, why are the tobacco companies getting so aerated about it, then?

It's ripe for fraud and people might not buy the more expensive brands.

What tinfoilhat said. The cigarette market is already over run with counterfeits. This will only make things easier for them.

The plain packaging will help the youngsters who at the moment still don't smoke.

They can't afford the expensive, more fashionable fags yet don't want to lose face by buying the cheaper brands.

Well done to the government and the rest of the lunatics in the asylum, your now making it a damn site easier for them to buy the cheaper fags and doing away with the cheaper fag packet stigma.

What tinfoilhat said. The cigarette market is already over run with counterfeits. This will only make things easier for them.

It doesn't make a lot of sense..that's if you can include "sense" into the equation. People are consciously buying counterfeit and illegal tobacco...the illegality from a buyers perspective may be questionable, but buying a product that is proven to do serious harm, a product that has strict content guidelines is overlooked for a product which has no content control. However, no matter which product you buy, both are very likely over time to cause serious health risks and cause an unnecessary drain of health resources. Addiction feeds irrationality above and beyond what we already know whats in controlled substances..the counterfeiters use your addiction and your irrationality to sell you cut price nicotine with rat ****e and low grade tobacco or any other low grade highly dubious crap.

If I offered you a pretty box of nurofen at 50% off and told you it was made in some sweatshop in the arse end of the planet..would you buy it hoping it would fix your head? The answer for an addict as an analogy is YES..your need/addiction defines your rationale almost to the point that the rationality of the supplier makes far more sense than the buyer, for him it's business, for you it's chocolate covered long term misery.

Anyone condoning suppliers, condone and support pimps, racketeers, gangsters, traffickers as they are all part of that system. For a fag "I'll look the other way" mentality.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 09:26 ----------

The plain packaging will help the youngsters who at the moment still don't smoke.

They can't afford the expensive, more fashionable fags yet don't want to lose face by buying the cheaper brands.

Well done to the government and the rest of the lunatics in the asylum, your now making it a damn site easier for them to buy the cheaper fags and doing away with the cheaper fag packet stigma.

The packaging at a guess will still have a brand logo but without the fairy lights and tinsel. If you're at a stage in life when you're choosing between knock off and legal you're already in deep.

It doesn't make a lot of sense..that's if you can include "sense" into the equation. People are consciously buying counterfeit and illegal tobacco...the illegality from a buyers perspective may be questionable, but buying a product that is proven to do serious harm, a product that has strict content guidelines is overlooked for a product which has no content control. However, no matter which product you buy, both are very likely over time to cause serious health risks and cause an unnecessary drain of health resources. Addiction feeds irrationality above and beyond what we already know whats in controlled substances..the counterfeiters use your addiction and your irrationality to sell you cut price nicotine with rat ****e and low grade tobacco or any other low grade highly dubious crap.

If I offered you a pretty box of nurofen at 50% off and told you it was made in some sweatshop in the arse end of the planet..would you buy it hoping it would fix your head? The answer for an addict as an analogy is YES..your need/addiction defines your rationale almost to the point that the rationality of the supplier makes far more sense than the buyer, for him it's business, for you it's chocolate covered long term misery.

Anyone condoning suppliers, condone and support pimps, racketeers, gangsters, traffickers as they are all part of that system. For a fag "I'll look the other way" mentality.

The packaging at a guess will still have a brand logo but without the fairy lights and tinsel. If you're at a stage in life when you're choosing between knock off and legal you're already in deep.

I made that decision 15 years ago ,and ive saved an absolute fortune in that time . I spend £28 a week on bacca and cigs for me and her indoors , the same amount would cost me north of £70 in the shops. Thats a saving of 160 a month . its adds up over a year .

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c4016952-0d4a-11e4-bcb2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3Q2lKEPV9

It might work...

If you're stupid enough to buy counterfeit cigarettes, fair enough. I wouldn't buy them, no matter what the price.

I gazettes are obviously not good for you, but I'd rather smoke 5 or 6 quality cigarettes a week than 5 or 6 fake ones with added poisons.

Counterfeit cigs are very dangerous. Plain packaging will only make the market bigger.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 17:45 ----------

I made that decision 15 years ago ,and ive saved an absolute fortune in that time . I spend £28 a week on bacca and cigs for me and her indoors , the same amount would cost me north of £70 in the shops. Thats a saving of 160 a month . its adds up over a year .

Totally not worth it.

Do you think there's anyone in uk who take up smoking and doesn't know they're bad for you?

The only ones I could think of would be the really young kids 5-8 age bracket.