Plain packaging for tobacco..on its way

I know a newsagent and he says the amount he makes on a packet of fags is so small , its hardly worth the hassle of stocking them. no corner shop is going to go out of business because people buy their fags and bacca knock off for half the price.

You're full of crap. Shop keepers don't spend £7/8 grand a week on cigarettes (with a 2/3 metre gantry) because they don't make money on them! The margins are tiny, but they sell lots. They make between 10% and 4.5% depending on the brand. So, roughly 5.5% of 8,000 is about £440 a week =£22,880 a year. I don't know many businesses that could survive with a chunk of income like that taken away, which which is what counterfeit cigarettes are doing.

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:23 ----------

That might explain the waste of his life taking cigarettes apart to try to work out what is inside them...

You're honestly not that naive are you aliceBB? :hihi:

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:30 ----------

Let's rephrase that.

Smokers should stop punishing the rest of us with their selfish and ridiculous demands on the NHS.

You can't take the stick out for 1 minute can you?

You really can be a spiteful person when you want to be. It's a shame, cos you're normally quite sensible and usually come across as quite a clever person, but as soon as someone mentions smoking, all logic, reasoning and self restraint goes out of the window......like smoke, ironically!

You're full of crap. Shop keepers don't spend £7/8 grand a week on cigarettes (with a 2/3 metre gantry) because they don't make money on them! The margins are tiny, but they sell lots. They make between 10% and 4.5% depending on the brand. So, roughly 5.5% of 8,000 is about £440 a week =£22,880 a year. I don't know many businesses that could survive with a chunk of income like that taken away, which which is what counterfeit cigarettes are doing.

You really can be a spiteful person when you want to be. It's a shame, cos you're normally quite sensible and usually come across as quite a clever person, but as soon as someone mentions smoking, all logic, reasoning and self restraint goes out of the window......like smoke, ironically!

But that is exactly what pubs face/faced when they banned them.Now the pub land lords are all cooks :)

Shops need to modernise too lol

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:38 ----------

Show me an immigrant with a packet of English fags!

lets have a pop at them ,er no that wont happen lol

Thats what i said.......... the margins are tiny , and not all of them sell loads. If the shop has people nearby selling knock off , as in the case of the bloke i mentioned in my post , then they hardly sell any.

I wonder how the proposed new packaging will combat counterfeiters.

If you've ever really studied a packet of genuine Marlboro there are about 10 different and distinct anti counterfeit marks on the packet. For instance, the little strip of plastic film that is used to open the packet has the words "Phillip Morris" on it. But if you look closely you'll notice that the "P" is made up of lots of individual p's. The "h" is made of of lots of individual h's and so on. It's really quite sophisticated.

But that is exactly what pubs face/faced when they banned them.Now the pub land lords are all cooks :)

Shops need to modernise too lol

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:38 ----------

Show me an immigrant with a packet of English fags!

lets have a pop at them ,er no that wont happen lol

People didn't go into pubs just to smoke though did they? They went in for the drink. People go into shops to buy fags and end up picking other things while they're in there.

What's this about immigrants? The polish love Pall Mall. It's a premium brand in Poland, but they're quite cheap here.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 13:26 ----------

Thats what i said.......... the margins are tiny , and not all of them sell loads. If the shop has people nearby selling knock off , as in the case of the bloke i mentioned in my post , then they hardly sell any.

Maybe he'd sell more if it wasn't for the criminal that you fund who lives near by?!

E cogs have done alot more damage to the government's tidy little earner than a few black market cogs ever will.

Their response to that has been a charger blew up lol

That's not true. The size of the market share that counterfeit cigarettes hold is massive. If it were a legitimate business, it would be the 3rd biggest, selling more cigarettes than British American Tobacco. Only Imperial and Gallagher are bigger......that's taking the Chinese market out of the picture all together, because their cigarettes are all state made and they smoke more cigarettes than any other country. If the Chinese government were classed as a cigarette manufacturer, they would be the global market leader by a long way!

Edited by Bonzo77

I wonder how the proposed new packaging will combat counterfeiters.

If you've ever really studied a packet of genuine Marlboro there are about 10 different and distinct anti counterfeit marks on the packet. For instance, the little strip of plastic film that is used to open the packet has the words "Phillip Morris" on it. But if you look closely you'll notice that the "P" is made up of lots of individual p's. The "h" is made of of lots of individual h's and so on. It's really quite sophisticated.

I very much doubt the counterfeiters will care, and people who buy knock off cigs and bacca defiantly wont care.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 16:25 ----------

People didn't go into pubs just to smoke though did they? They went in for the drink. People go into shops to buy fags and end up picking other things while they're in there.

What's this about immigrants? The polish love Pall Mall. It's a premium brand in Poland, but they're quite cheap here.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 13:26 ----------

Maybe he'd sell more if it wasn't for the criminal that you fund who lives near by?!

there are so many people selling knock off , every genuine stockist is suffering.

I very much doubt the counterfeiters will care, and people who buy knock off cigs and bacca defiantly wont care.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 16:25 ----------

there are so many people selling knock off , every genuine stockist is suffering.

Surely the problem for genuine stockists is the number of people who BUY the knock off goods.