Cycle thefts in city centre

The house insurance covered "possessions temporarily away from the address". I invoked this clause only to be told that my bike wasn't covered. I argued that it was "a possession" and it was "temporarily away from the address".. they said bikes are not covered.. end of discussion. I wasn't happy.. but could do nothing without a long and protracted legal palaver.

Richard

Bikes are normally a specific item that needs adding and are otherwise excluded in the small print.

I paid extra to cover my "possessions temporarily away from the address".. this would seem to imply that my possessions would be covered while temporarily away from the address.. as you would think, my bike being a possession in the same manner my cricket bat would be. Maybe I should have spent hours reading the whole document even down to the print I would need a magnifying glass for, I didn't.. my conclusion is, 1: read the document fully, probably at least twice, 2: insurance is rarely worth the paper it's printed on.

Richard

My bikes mean the world to me, so I rang up to ensure that they were covered. I'm really sorry that you've had to learn the lesson the hard way.

Just to let you know that some rat had had a go at getting my bike. My bike is normally parked in the City Centre secured with two locks and cables with Police marking. They've managed to break through the weaker lock but failed on the other. Although the bike was used as a lever to break the remaining lock, it had some minor scratches, but miffed as it's not a cheap bike. Have reported it to management and Police, who said they'd have a look at it.

Lock your bikes good. You can get your bike marked by the BTP at Sheffield Station.

Why wouldn't the insurance pay?

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 15:01 ----------

I know this is daily fail, but it's the first link to this that I found;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449699/Cambridgeshire-police-stole-4-bikes-reported-crime.html

The police demonstrated in cambridge some entirely blatant thefts and in most cases nobody even said a word, despite the streets being full of people.

In one case they cycled off carrying the bolt croppers in their hands!

Try that in holland

They are after a guy with a bike with a broken lock on it.

Edited by dutch

You need two locks on a bike, a good d-lock for the frame/rear wheel to object, mini ones are best as they leave no space to bottle jack them open, then a good cable lock to go around your wheels.

Just to let you know that some rat had had a go at getting my bike. My bike is normally parked in the City Centre secured with two locks and cables with Police marking. They've managed to break through the weaker lock but failed on the other. Although the bike was used as a lever to break the remaining lock, it had some minor scratches, but miffed as it's not a cheap bike. Have reported it to management and Police, who said they'd have a look at it.

Lock your bikes good. You can get your bike marked by the BTP at Sheffield Station.

Whereabouts did this happen?

My bike was stolen at 1.15pm on a sunny afternoon from the bike racks at the bottom of Fargate in full view of probably 50 people. I had locked it up and gone into Boots, when I returned, the substantial (i.e NOT CHEAP) lock/cable had been bolt-cropped and was hanging off the bike rack. Sod all CCTV available and my insurance would not pay up. £700 out of pocket.

Richard

Same thing happened to me, 800 quid bike gone. Police didnt bother looking at CCTV.

The only thing you can do is use two locks and make it as difficult as possible but its still not 100% safe. It's really put me off buying a new bike because of thieves, which is sad.

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 18:08 ----------

This is getting ridiculous. Its about time good honest people who love their cycling make a stand against these rotters!

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 18:11 ----------

I paid extra to cover my "possessions temporarily away from the address".. this would seem to imply that my possessions would be covered while temporarily away from the address.. as you would think, my bike being a possession in the same manner my cricket bat would be. Maybe I should have spent hours reading the whole document even down to the print I would need a magnifying glass for, I didn't.. my conclusion is, 1: read the document fully, probably at least twice, 2: insurance is rarely worth the paper it's printed on.

Richard

Ins companies will do anything to get out of paying out. You have a good case in question, what is the point of insurance if not to protect your belongings?

If you can stomach the weight or can leave the lock on site, 19mm case hardened chain is the best bet, most bolt coppers can't get around that diameter.

There have been loads of bikes stolen from outside my work too, from a bike shed round the back of the office, in broad daylight. Young kids about 13 or something with bolt cutters. And when we catch them round there they really don't care at all, they've got some bottle I tell ya!

We also had a motorbike wheeled into the back of a transit van in the middle of the car park, again in broad daylight.

As much as I think the theft of someone's property is pretty heartless, I've gotta admit these thieves have some balls!

If anyone has had a Specialized road bike stolen; matte black / white decals, matte black deep rim wheels, white saddle, somebody took into the Fitzwilliam Centre. A scruffy looking chap (grey jogging bottoms, dark coloured jumper, cap, with a plastic yellow JD Sports bag over his shoulder) on a bike like that just didn't look right so I rode after him, this idiot was bunny hopping the kerbs and all over the place, the bike clearly wasn't his as he could barely reach the peddles when on the saddle. I just managed to keep eyes on him and saw him wheel the bike into this building. I followed him from the Decathlon/Staples traffic light crossing where he nearly got clipped by a car.

There have been loads of bikes stolen from outside my work too, from a bike shed round the back of the office, in broad daylight. Young kids about 13 or something with bolt cutters. And when we catch them round there they really don't care at all, they've got some bottle I tell ya!

We also had a motorbike wheeled into the back of a transit van in the middle of the car park, again in broad daylight.

As much as I think the theft of someone's property is pretty heartless, I've gotta admit these thieves have some balls!

Where's that.

I know of at least two break ins to a bike shed near Waitrose by people with bolt cutters.