Was Robin Hood really born ..

How myths grow!

When I was a kid, the Hathersage Church graveyard was a regular stop on our hikes.

There was a grave with a headstone that couldn't have been more than 200 years old, marked John Little. About 7 feet away was a stone in the ground purported to be "footstone". Even we kids were cynical at the time.

Fast forward 70 years and now you have a new, updated gravestone that goes on about "Little John, trusted henchman of Robin Hood" etc.

How dare you! myth indeed ,One of the greatest Historians ever wrote about Robin being on the Sheffield Parkway.

Fact or Fiction.. in either case he is almost always Robin of Loxley, (or Locksley, depending)..

The bad guy is associated with Nottingham, the good guy is associated with Sheffield, either real or fictional.

Richard

They were robbers who wore hoods - hence robbing hoods.

Maid marion was later added to the stories to give them a

wider appeal.

Just like Merlin who appeared centuries after the Arthur legends

to give added interest.

They were robbers who wore hoods - hence robbing hoods.

Maid marion was later added to the stories to give them a

wider appeal.

Just like Merlin who appeared centuries after the Arthur legends

to give added interest.

A lot of England was set aside as hunting preserves for kings and lords.

Stands to reason poaching would be an organized activity by the poor and hungry. There would be lots of prototypes for a Robin Hood.

A lot of England was set aside as hunting preserves for kings and lords.

Stands to reason poaching would be an organized activity by the poor and hungry. There would be lots of prototypes for a Robin Hood.

still is i love the odd trout and had rabbit stew yesterday

still is i love the odd trout and had rabbit stew yesterday
And I had a poached egg..;) I suppose we'll never know if there was a real Robin Hood but it's a good story anyway.

Was Robin Hood Really Born..

I prefer Robin Hood, who tuck from the rich to feed the poor, than David Cameron, who takes from the poor to give to the rich.

When I was at Birley Spa Juniors in the early 60’s, we children went on a Charabanc trip to Sherwood Forest. Whilst there, we minors saw Major Oak. Some of us young ‘uns even bought chunky pieces of Robin’s tree from the souvenir shop. My piece was about 7inches long. The circumference of it is not remembered.

For many years I treasured that mammock of wood from Mr Hood’s tree, but I don’t recall what happened to it. Maybe it ended up in a local pub in the locality. Perhaps the Royal Oak or possibly The Elm Tree

Was Robin Hood Really Born..

I prefer Robin Hood, who tuck from the rich to feed the poor, than David Cameron, who takes from the poor to give to the rich.

When I was at Birley Spa Juniors in the early 60’s, we children went on a Charabanc trip to Sherwood Forest. Whilst there, we minors saw Major Oak. Some of us young ‘uns even bought chunky pieces of Robin’s tree from the souvenir shop. My piece was about 7inches long. The circumference of it is not remembered.

For many years I treasured that mammock of wood from Mr Hood’s tree, but I don’t recall what happened to it. Maybe it ended up in a local pub in the locality. Perhaps the Royal Oak or possibly The Elm Tree

Elm Tree !! If there is any connection with the the Elm Tree. Then the bit about him robbing from the rich must be true. Well the bit about robbing .

Edited by Odd-jobs