PCC election- get out there and vote!!

medusa

It's unbelievable to me that only 14% of people turned out to vote (or voted by post), given the amount of publicity surrounding the resignation of the previous Police Commissioner and the associated problems in Rotherham and to some extent Sheffield.

I am pleased that the person who appeared to be the only one remotely qualified to carry out the responsibilities of this post, has been elected (irrespective of the party he represents).

For future reference it's very easy to register for a postal vote which then makes it much easier to vote. If you have any interest in having a say in local and national elections, I recommend registering for a postal vote. If we can get a much higher turnout, maybe we can have a greater influence.

Yes. He was a board member on The Youth Crime Board (2004 - 2012) overseeing criminal justice for the under 18s' and yet his name has never come up as ever having done anything for these young girls at the time!

Maybe because the crimes were committed by adults not youths?

I've just got back from casting my vote in the PCC election and our polling station has only had 90 people vote all day..

If I had logged on to SF and seen this thread I would have voted. there was no publicity about this at all and I didn't realise I had missed it until the result was announced.

I do have a voting card but unfortunately it was on a shelf with a load of TV licence junk mail

I even walked past the polling station on that day and I didn't notice that there was a vote on. Don't these places usually have Polling station signs outside ?

If I had logged on to SF and seen this thread I would have voted. there was no publicity about this at all and I didn't realise I had missed it until the result was announced.

I do have a voting card but unfortunately it was on a shelf with a load of TV licence junk mail

I even walked past the polling station on that day and I didn't notice that there was a vote on. Don't these places usually have Polling station signs outside ?

No Publicity? How about articles in National and Local Press, At least 3 or 4

interviews on National and local TV,and flyers by post and canvassers.

No Publicity? How about articles in National and Local Press, At least 3 or 4

interviews on National and local TV,and flyers by post and canvassers.

I don't watch or even have a TV or buy newspapers because I am sick of the trivia and lack of news in them. As I may have mentioned I only listen to Radio 4 and 5 because they tend to cover politics and serious news more than other stations.

I have heard precisely nothing about this.

Why are people so Gung-Ho about independents. They are usually odd balls with an inflated opinion of their opinions. We know little to nothing about their ideas. It's no surprise that all this talk usually comes to nothing in the polls.

No-one is Independent, in a wider sense. We are all the product of our environment. Think about the environment that most independent's have been conditioned by? At least when they have an allegiance to one of the political parties we have a guess as to what they are about and there is a party hierarchy to call them to question. ( even if it takes time for them to listen).

It's unbelievable to me that only 14% of people turned out to vote (or voted by post), given the amount of publicity surrounding the resignation of the previous Police Commissioner and the associated problems in Rotherham and to some extent Sheffield.

I am pleased that the person who appeared to be the only one remotely qualified to carry out the responsibilities of this post, has been elected (irrespective of the party he represents).

For future reference it's very easy to register for a postal vote which then makes it much easier to vote. If you have any interest in having a say in local and national elections, I recommend registering for a postal vote. If we can get a much higher turnout, maybe we can have a greater influence.

I agree, it's even more unbelievable when you hear that according to the guardian 80% of the vote was a postal vote.

I can't think for the life of me what people imagine the Labour candidate is going to do for them, he's not going to do away with the bedroom tax for them or give them benefits etc- I'm sure that's what dimwits think this is all about; but it isn't of course, its about dealing with crime, which appeals to nearly every ones right wing instincts, so you'd think the Conservatives or UKIP would romp home, but hey ho!

why does the pcc run the country :huh:

Eh, what bit could you not grasp? I'll try and make it a little simpler. The great people of South Yorkshire had the chance to choose a new pcc, but still went with a Labour one, nothing will change. Understand!?