Attempted robbery 21/10/14 Crookes Valley Park

I wonder what the origin of the phrase "Judo chop" is? Judo doesn't (and never has) involved any striking or chopping or kicking. Judo "drop assailant on their head" doesn't role of the tongue though.

My source is Austin powers but I've a feeling it dates back further than that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we said it in the school playground back in the 80's, long before Austin Powers.

To be honest, in this day and age I'd not really given that much thought.
Why so?

"in this day and age" as you say, I'd have thought people would consider it a lot more indeed :confused:

Have you ever judo-chopped a would-be assailant L00b? Did it work?
No, I can't say I have ever 'judo-chopped' a would-be assailant, because I started training in TKD only late and for fitness & technique (never had any technique as such before, other than the scrap-grade hand-to-hand techniques taught during my National Service) and I've been lucky not to be involved in any sort of assault/situation for a long time indeed.

In years gone by (close to two decades ago) I have punched and kicked actual assailants, and returned fire towards people who were shooting towards me. It 'worked' in all instances (the assault/shooting stopped).

The name of the game is to avoid having to put the technique to use. I will not triple guess taxman keyboard warrior-style, but am thinking that this was one of those rare situations-happening-in-the-blink-of-an-eye wherein "flight" is unfortunately not a realistic option by the time your brain has fully caught onto what's going on, and that's precisely when one would be glad to call and rely on the training.

Why so?

"in this day and age" as you say, I'd have thought people would consider it a lot more indeed :confused:

No, I can't say I have ever 'judo-chopped' a would-be assailant, because I started training in TKD only late and for fitness & technique (never had any technique as such before, other than the scrap-grade hand-to-hand techniques taught during my National Service) and I've been lucky not to be involved in any sort of assault/situation for a long time indeed.

In years gone by (close to two decades ago) I have punched and kicked actual assailants, and returned fire towards people who were shooting towards me. It 'worked' in all instances (the assault/shooting stopped).

The name of the game is to avoid having to put the technique to use. I will not triple guess taxman keyboard warrior-style, but am thinking that this was one of those rare situations-happening-in-the-blink-of-an-eye wherein "flight" is unfortunately not a realistic option by the time your brain has fully caught onto what's going on, and that's precisely when one would be glad to call and rely on the training.

I don't know why, but self defence classes seems a bit 80s retro to me, but it's probably just me. Is it because people resist less and are more likely to give their valuables over because the mugger is more likely to be carrying a knife or something? Don't know. By the grace of god it's never happened to me so I don't know what I'd do - try and run off probably and hope said mugger is as unfit as I am.

I don't know why, but self defence classes seems a bit 80s retro to me, but it's probably just me.
Between a fear of feeling self-conscious and an actual feeling of fitness and confidence, I know which I prefer, and gladly abandon you to your prejudices ;)

Is it because people resist less and are more likely to give their valuables over because the mugger is more likely to be carrying a knife or something? Don't know.
I feel that there is a lot less self-respect and sense of morality these days. Although, and of course, no amount of self-respect, morality or valuables is worth losing an eye, a limb or a life over. It's all about perspective (knowing what you can and, more importantly, can't do) and context (the specifics of the situation), and a black belt in <whatever> doesn't necessarily make its wearer braver, smarter or invincible.

By the grace of god it's never happened to me so I don't know what I'd do - try and run off probably and hope said mugger is as unfit as I am.
Why not do something about that, with a double benefit?

I'm not doing the hard selling, but taking up martial arts is very probably the best thing I have done for myself in years: it's given me more common ground (and "daddy-only" time-) with my daughter, it's helped me eventually kick the fags off for good after 20-odd years (clean out and no patches for over 6 months now), it's getting me so fit so fast it's ridiculous (no special diet, no special exercise besides TKD classes, but 4 pack is now back on, 6 pack not far off - I'm in my 40s and deskbound btw), I'm generally calmer and more patient than I have been for years...

...to say I only started to help my daughter along, so she'd build up her self-confidence and acquire useful self-defence skills for her later years - I frequently find myself kicking myself (good flexibility training :hihi:) for not starting sooner!

Edited by L00b

I'm not saying any martial arts are 80s retro, more specifically self defence classes - I'm sure there's a difference.

Edited by tinfoilhat
I'm thick as two short planks.

crookes valley is one of the safer areas wouldnt like to live outside s10

You obviously haven't ventured very far!! Crookes/Broomhill etc is the victim of lots of crimes, mainly due to the fact there are so many students in those areas who unfortunately are easy pickings for some criminals.

There are a lot more nice areas in Sheffield than bad, and far nicer areas than S10 too, so slightly odd statement to make!!

Martial arts.

Thank you. I didn't look right when I wrote it. :huh:

There are a lot more nice areas in Sheffield than bad, and far nicer areas than S10 too, so slightly odd statement to make!!

It makes sense when you understand he just spams the forum with one-liners to help advertise his removals business. The posts rarely contribute anything worthwhile.

Once just off Eccie Road and the other time Campo Lane.

10-15 years ago though.

There are some scoates about. :mad:

Regards

Doom

I'm not saying any martial arts are 80s retro, more specifically self defence classes - I'm sure there's a difference.

You probably won't find anyone running "self defence" to be honest. You'd have to choose a martial art, ideally one that you judged to be most useful for self defence.

I think l00b is on the right lines.

I've done martial arts for many years now. And (this is anecdotal obviously) the very fact that you are aware and appear confident seems to cause trouble to avoid you.

I go out in town on a regular basis and in the last 15 years have only been involved in 2 situations. (Unfortunately too drunk to really use any proper technique both times :hihi:)

And of course training is a social thing, you'll gain a useful skill, meet new friends, have fun and get fit, all in one package.