I hate being ripped off with the cost of razor blades. Do you?

why not make your own if they are that simple to put together?

People do.... I've made a couple of razors in my time to see if its possible.

Razors are delicate and they do blunt. If you want a cartridge razor to last, then you need to nitride it - that way they will last tens of times as long if not hundreds.

Why dont the makers do that? They are in there interest of selling razors of course...

Gillette pack of 3 5blade cartridges - £10

Tube of razor blades to fit into a safety razor - the ones where you slide the ew blade out remember them?

In a bulk pack of 100 there are 200 blades (double edged remember). £2.05 when bought from a medical supplier - the NHS uses them a lot...

Youa re paying for convenience basically in the cartridges.

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 10:43 ----------

That's the point. Thy're NOT expensive! To make. They're only expensive once they are sold to us!

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 10:42 ----------

Hahaha...to be honest I think I'd be too frightened to try one. I don't doubt that in 'expert' hands they are probably better then any other razor. But I simply wouldn't 'trust' myself not to do a Van Gough on myself!

Start off with your arm... once you get the hang of it it's very easy.

A disposable razor was invented by Paul Winchell (voice of Tigger and Dick Dastardly) fact fans.

He'd also invented an artificial heart, among other devices.

He didn't proceed to patent his razor because his "mates" convinced him there was no point in pitching it because the likes of Gillette couldn't really be competed against for market share, and there was no point in selling it to them because they wouldn't retool their entire enterprise from using safety razors to the disposable blades.

Does the price of razor blades (dedicated to certain types of razors) annoy you?

According to an article I found on line (Admittedly it's a couple of years old), the actual cost of each blade is something like 10p.

They sell them to Joe-Public at anything up to a tenner or more for a pack of 4 or 5 (it varies). That's an obscene amount of profit for something that costs so little to make. Yes of course they 'have' to make a profit of some sort, but come on!!!

The supermarkets and shops have to electronically 'tag' them or store them in a locked cupboard to prevent theft! Not because they're particularly valuable (in terms of cost to make), but because they charge so much for them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136440/The-great-razor-rip-Prices-blades-soar-99-just-years.html

Am I understanding you correctly? You choose to buy the expensive razors and then you complain that the razors that you purchased were expensive! There are a lot of cheaper razors out there costing far far less than £10 for a pack of 4/5.

Buy bulk and look for offers. Costco and makro can have some very good deals from time to time. Never buy in packs of 3!

Am I understanding you correctly? You choose to buy the expensive razors and then you complain that the razors that you purchased were expensive! There are a lot of cheaper razors out there costing far far less than £10 for a pack of 4/5.

Well...yes...I do buy them!...I suppose if I wanted to really go cheap I could use a sharp penknife...But no nearly as effective or safe.

What do you use?.....or rather what would you prefer?...Cheap and cheerful? Or safe and effective?

The point I make, is that the (so called) 'expensive' ones don't cost anything like the cost they charge to manufacture.

Well...yes...I do buy them!...I suppose if I wanted to really go cheap I could use a sharp penknife...But no nearly as effective or safe.

What do you use?.....or rather what would you prefer?...Cheap and cheerful? Or safe and effective?

The point I make, is that the (so called) 'expensive' ones don't cost anything like the cost they charge to manufacture.

I'm sure that you're right about the cost of manufacture, but I bet that the ones that you buy have by far the biggest marketing budget. I'd understand your position if you had little choice of what razors that your purchased, but there are lots of cheaper alternatives right through the price ranges.

So maybe the question is, why do you buy the expensive ones?

I'm sure that you're right about the cost of manufacture, but I bet that the ones that you buy have by far the biggest marketing budget. I'd understand your position if you had little choice of what razors that your purchased, but there are lots of cheaper alternatives right through the price ranges.

Probably because my face looks like I've been attacked by a cat when I used the cheapies. Even aldi let me down on this one.

Probably because my face looks like I've been attacked by a cat when I used the cheapies. Even aldi let me down on this one.

I accidentally purchased some of the older mid range Gillette razors instead of the new vibrating top of the range ones, and do you know what? I didn't notice any difference!

Yes I agree....I 'have' tried the cheap and cheerful ones, and I've had the equivalent of the Texas Chainsaw massacre too. They're awful things. If the 'expensive' ones cost around 10p to manufacture, I wonder what the 'cheapies' cost?

Plus the fact, and loath as I am to admit, I inevitably fall for the marketing trap of buying a fancy super duper razor at a 'special' introductory price, and then getting locked into having to buy the replacement blades. Bit like buying an iPhone really.

Wont come cheap having Roger Federer and Lionel Messi plug your products.

Yes I agree....I 'have' tried the cheap and cheerful ones, and I've had the equivalent of the Texas Chainsaw massacre too. They're awful things. If the 'expensive' ones cost around 10p to manufacture, I wonder what the 'cheapies' cost?

Plus the fact, and loath as I am to admit, I inevitably fall for the marketing trap of buying a fancy super duper razor at a 'special' introductory price, and then getting locked into having to buy the replacement blades. Bit like buying an iPhone really.

There are other choices than the bottom and the top of the price ranges!

As I said a couple of posts earlier I accidentally purchased some of the older mid range Gillette razors instead of the new vibrating top of the range ones, and do you know what? I didn't notice any difference!

The thing that annoys me is that the razor blade manufacturers keep changing the design of how the blade fits on to the razor itself. Therefore, it's quite easy to spend the best part of an entire weekend searching for exactly the right fitting blades ... thus eliminating any chance of (for example) going on a picnic with lovely sandwiches (and G/F!), or (again, purely as an example), scientific things.

To combat this waste of time, I keep an eye out for special offers, whereby you buy the blades with a free razor. This works out cheaper than just buying the blades themselves (which basically are doomed not to fit).

From memory (!), I paid around £9.00 for a Gillette fusion Pro-glide razor with five blades at Superdrug a few weeks ago, which now takes pride of place in the 'Area 51 and a half ®' bathroom facility, casting aside the collection of previous Gillette razors with micro-millimetrically different fitting couplings.

To be honest, with the actual blades (five in each head) and the precision that goes into their manufacture, I don't really have a problem with the prices ... just that I wish they'd stop changing the fittings! :loopy: