Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal?

Sorry, but tattoos are attractive.

Don't be sorry. Only to you, it seems. Far more people on this thread seem to find them distasteful than pleasing to the eye.

I'm not talking about some tramp stamp that says profanities across your forehead.
Now who's being prejudiced?

I'm talking about full sleeves, full legs, sometimes tattoos can stray onto your neck, or the back of the hand. These kind of tattoos are are by no means offensive.
Full sleeves and full legs are usually covered up. If only a portion of the full tattoo is visible, surely the effect is lost anyway. Whether what is seen is 'offensive' or not is to some extent subjective, but to a lot of people, an incomplete image/ area of dark ink creeping out of a shirt sleeve onto a hand just looks messy.

All this bull crap about the psychology behind them is just a myth.
Do not dismiss what you do not understand. You clearly know nothing about non-oral human communication.

However, we're into the realm of anthropology more than psychology - look it up.

Edited by aliceBB

What a load of <REMOVED>!

Sorry, but tattoos are attractive. I'm not talking about some tramp stamp that says profanities across your forehead. I'm talking about full sleeves, full legs, sometimes tattoos can stray onto your neck, or the back of the hand. These kind of tattoos are are by no means offensive.

All this bull crap about the psychology behind them is just a myth.

I agree with you Bonzo. There is a wide spectrum of quality. I've seen some terrible ones (mainly on chavs), but I like to look at the ones that are artistic and done well. I some times worry that visibly tattooed people think I'm staring at them, when I'm really admiring their tattoos. I'm not visibly tattooed myself, nor do I think I will ever be, but I do find them interesting on others.

I I've seen some terrible ones (mainly on chavs), but I like to look at the ones that are artistic and done well..
So, no judging by appearances with you, then! :rolleyes:

That aside, please explain the difference between 'artistic' tattoos and 'unartistic' ones. I'm fascinated.

I some times worry that visibly tattooed people think I'm staring at them, when I'm really admiring their tattoos.

I think you are worrying unnecessarily on that score.

Edited by aliceBB

That aside, please explain the difference between 'artistic' tattoos and 'unartistic' ones. I'm fascinated.

Since you appear to be completely biased and bigotted on this subject what would be the point? Whatever gets posted you're going to say you don't like it.

---------- Post added 20-08-2014 at 21:30 ----------

Don't be sorry. Only to you, it seems. Far more people on this thread seem to find them distasteful than pleasing to the eye.

Possibly because 99.9% of people with tattoos don't really care what you think so the only people left commenting are people like you.

You took the words right out of my mouth, probedb :)

Damn, I got Meatloaf songs in my head now :rolleyes:

Since you appear to be completely biased and bigotted on this subject what would be the point? Whatever gets posted you're going to say you don't like it.
Not sure why you think my concerns about the aesthetic and health risks of tattoos makes me 'completely biased and bigotted' - it's called expressing a viewpoint, I think. It may be different from yours, but it doesn't make me a bigot. Nor do you have any claim to know what I am going to think or say in advance of my saying it, so stop talking nonsense. You sound like Bonzo under another ID.

If Isabelle can come up with definitions of artistic vs unartistic tattoos, I would love to hear them, as people's perceptions of what art is are always interesting. I could even be persuaded that some tattoos are art/things of beauty, given a convincing argument.

Possibly because 99.9% of people with tattoos don't really care what you think so the only people left commenting are people like you.
What?!That has to be the most irrelevant and illogical comment made so far on this thread.

---------- Post added 20-08-2014 at 21:53 ----------

You took the words right out of my mouth, probedb

I wonder why that might be? :rolleyes:

How about those definitions, then? Or do you have no idea at all what you mean by 'art'?

Dragging this back on track... (I realise thats a bit of a whacky premise but bear with me)

How would you ever police this? In the real world how would you ever prove it?

Say that someone went for a job and they were covered in ink, they were rejected for the job, they decided that it was because the interviewer was tattoo prejudiced (they're wrong, turns out there was a better candidate), they decide to complain (they're whiny like that), how are they going to prove it? More to the point its a waste of time, resources and effort.

People are allowed to dislike other peoples choices. You can't legislate against how people feel. I don't like it when people get kids ears pierced but you can't make it illegal and make me change my gut instinct.

How would you ever police this? In the real world how would you ever prove it?

Say that someone went for a job and they were covered in ink, they were rejected for the job, they decided that it was because the interviewer was tattoo prejudiced (they're wrong, turns out there was a better candidate), they decide to complain (they're whiny like that), how are they going to prove it? More to the point its a waste of time, resources and effort.

People are allowed to dislike other peoples choices. You can't legislate against how people feel. I don't like it when people get kids ears pierced but you can't make it illegal and make me change my gut instinct.

Well, in the unlikely event that people's choices (of appearance) were to become subject to anti-discrimination legislation, I suppose it would have be policed in the same way that the legislation is enforced in the case of disability, race, gender, etc. It is hard, but not impossible, to prove in some contexts ...but I do think that in practice employers will find ways of not having to employ people they do not want (whatever their reasons).

Edited by aliceBB

Say that someone went for a job and they were covered in ink, they were rejected for the job, they decided that it was because the interviewer was tattoo prejudiced (they're wrong, turns out there was a better candidate)

If someone is covered in visible ink, there will ALWAYS be a better candidate.

It's about time people who make poor life decisions stop trying to make their stupidity the fault of others and face the consequences of their actions. You made your bed, lie in it. You wanted a tattoo of a pit bull on your neck, fine, but now you can't get a job, suck it up. But even then my tax dollars now have to support this muppet. They SHOULD be forced to sweep the streets or something, at least contribute to society in some way. Makes my blood boil.

Just like those who smoke but then expect us to pay and treat their self induced ill health. Idiots!

It's about time people who make poor life decisions stop trying to make their stupidity the fault of others and face the consequences of their actions. You made your bed, lie in it. You wanted a tattoo of a pit bull on your neck, fine, but now you can't get a job, suck it up. But even then my tax dollars now have to support this muppet. They SHOULD be forced to sweep the streets or something, at least contribute to society in some way. Makes my blood boil.

Just like those who smoke but then expect us to pay and treat their self induced ill health. Idiots!

I agree about the smoking. It should be banned in ALL public places. Why should I have to breathe in someone else's pollution?

If you pay your tax in dollars, Coutts, you are certainly not funding the British NHS. You are confused.

I would think smokers cover their NHS costs many times over Coutts.

You seem rather bitter. Are you having problems between the sheets?