Simvastatin...Are you taking them?

The side effects of statins can be severe but are rare. If you are worried about taking them , then discuss this with you GP or the nurse. The benefits hugely outweigh the risks associated with the possible, but rare, side effects.

If you have high blood pressure and your cholesterol is also high you are at a higher risk than normal of having a heart attack.

My cholestorol is 5 which i didnt think was high but the nurse said it needed to be down to 4

A cholesterol level of 5 would be acceptable if you didn't also have high blood pressure - this increases the risks.

Go back to the surgery and have a chat with the nurse. I am sure he/she will be able to answer any questions and reassure you.

Good luck !

Please see my post below, sorry for the rehash, see below!

Edited by tedthefirst
wrong words

No but I hear that this Simvastatin can lower cholesterol levels very quickly. I also hear it prevents demntia and also Parkinsons. There is a lot of information out there and positive user reports, I think you should look into some user reviews of Simvastatin.

It is derived from a fermented food so thats good news, but be sure to take probiotics with this and also supplement your diet with different nutrition to replace the depleted enzymes such as COQ10. Other that I hear it is a great cholesterol reducer.

Ted - http://www.simvastatin.co.uk

Commenced Simvastatin on the 1st Oct 2009 after a well man clinic and I am confused. My overall cholesterol level is 5.6. 51 years of age physically fit and exercise on a regular basis. Ok I am overweight by about 2st packed in cigarettes 5 years ago. When I smoked my cholesterol level was 6.4. Now then..........

I was advised to go on statins without an option of attempting to lower my cholesterol by other means. The reason for prescribing the drug was because my father died at the age of 48 of a heart attack, the nurse stated it was purely precautionary. My Cardiovascular risk was 17% but due to my fathers premature depature this raised my risk level to 27%. Having seen the lifestyle my father led I was determined to Look after myself. I have never taken medication before in my life apart from antibiotics a couple of times and have taken to the Statin prescription really badly. I also don't know if I am experiencing side effects or not. Mainly aching hips or is it just years of physical activity catching up with me. I just don't know???

Yes you experiencing side effects. I had to come off them as I ached from head to toe

and muscle cramps. When I told the doctor he said I was the fourth that day to complain of muscle pain. It was like having flu all the time. drugs affect people

in different ways.

Statins the wonder drug!..it sure lowers the cholestrol but what they dont tell is the side effects such as muscle wastage ..always read the label I didnt and I am having steroid-cortisone injections just to be able to walk without pain

Been on Simvastatin as part of a drug fuelled regime to control high blood pressure, also take Felodipine and Ramipril, albeit in small doses, for a few years now. Haven't had any side effects of note but I have also lost a stone or so in weight and been swimming and doing yoga which I think has helped with keeping joints etc supple.

I asked about side effects before on this thread, and it seems quite a lot of people suffered them, which put me off the idea (I've got high cholesterol but not high blood pressure). They've been trying to tell me I'm diabetic as well though since my blood sugar level is exactly the same whenever I go (and it's borderline) I'm not having that yet either.

They've been trying to tell me I'm diabetic as well though since my blood sugar level is exactly the same whenever I go (and it's borderline) I'm not having that yet either.

You might have pre-diabetes which can develop into type 2 daibetes. Diagnosis requires a special 'fasting' test.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes-faqs.html

If you have any symptoms of lower limb circulation problems it would be better safe than sorry.

Yes I know, had the fasting test which is when they decided I was diabetic, but since then all the 6-month tests have been borderline. And no I don't have any such symptoms.