Street lights on during the day in Sheffield.

Haven't people got anything better to do than moan about street lights on in the day does anyone care.to come on forum and admitting that you reported it ,it beggars belief it really. Does

If you are happy to pay for the lights to be on all day do you mind if I pop round and plug my welder into your power? I only use 11 or-12 amps continuous.

The 5th core is switched to being permanent live to ensure that 1) the Jointer can test and make sure its live when they transfer the service to the new column then allowing the S/L Electrician's to make the final connections to the cut out and 2) when the 5th core is made permanently live they can trace faults. The old 'Sunswitch' at distribution substations were notoriously unreliable as were the number of 5th core faults.

Jointer's work on live LV cables using insulated rubber gloves and rubber mats in the bottom of joint holes using techniques that make the work as intrinsically safe as possible.

New lighting columns have a photocell control so don't need to be connected to a timeswitch. Old LV cables manufactured up to around 1980 had a separate 5th core for street lighting, however newer LV 3 phase cables don't, meaning that if the 5th core was to be maintained it would require its own separate single phase cable - greater expense overall and more cable to go faulty, hence why new lamp connections, as opposed to service transfers, are connected to a phase.

I am aware of all that. The point I was making was that I'm not sure if NPG are happy having the 5th core made live.

Photo cells are old hat btw. The reason a live supply is needed is so the central management system can be implemented.

Another point just to add, with the new control system they have a control points, which are located at the the top of a few columns around the city these have to be live to work ( to switch on, off and dim the new LED lights) so you you could end up with another section on just to control the lights around the area

I asked at one of those road shows as they are going to be starting around where I live soon

• 1 year later...

How have people got on after reporting street lights being on to the council? I reported it last week and haven't had a reply yet, and now everywhere I go I seem to notice more and more of them left on during the day. I wonder how much it's costing them!

It cost no more for the lights to be on 24hrs than when they are off in the day time. The council pay a set rate per annun to NPG for electricity. It's not metered like your supply at home would be. Also they are indeed on as jointers are required to joint live. And many of the new columns are still fed from the old 5th core backed up by fused at a substation.

It cost no more for the lights to be on 24hrs than when they are off in the day time. The council pay a set rate per annun to NPG for electricity. It's not metered like your supply at home would be. Also they are indeed on as jointers are required to joint live. And many of the new columns are still fed from the old 5th core backed up by fused at a substation.

If that's the case, how does it save them money to replace them with LED?

Surely if they tell NPG "our lights are cheaper to run now" they could just come back and say "tough, we are still charging the same"? Thus negating half the point of switching to LED.

Because they are changed per annnum based on the number of units with an NPG supply registered on the system. This also has record of the lantern that is installed so they charge so much for xx lantern using an average of xx watts. But when the lantern is changed this database is updated. Do they tell them they are using a different lantern, saving xx number of watts. And this is reflected in the cost of electricity NPG charge.