Norwich or not?

Visit Norwich city centre and see what a medium sized provincially city should look like, then compare it with Sheffield. Startling frankly!

Sheffield to Norwich is more like 147 miles.

Blake probably took a little known shortcut:roll:

Visit Norwich city centre and see what a medium sized provincially city should look like, then compare it with Sheffield. Startling frankly!

Yup, Sheffield is much nicer. Even more so when you wipe away the tourist attractions.

Norwich city centre looks very nice, but the roads and traffic are worse than Sheffield, there's little development in case it affects the nature of the place, and being so far away from any other major settlement leaves it as a bit of a backwater when it comes to trying things out. Just getting the shopping centres built has taken decades, just like another city I know.

Yup, Sheffield is much nicer. Even more so when you wipe away the tourist attractions.

Norwich city centre looks very nice, but the roads and traffic are worse than Sheffield, there's little development in case it affects the nature of the place, and being so far away from any other major settlement leaves it as a bit of a backwater when it comes to trying things out. Just getting the shopping centres built has taken decades, just like another city I know.

Sheffield city centre is maybe a bit better laid out then Norwich town centre but beyond that Norwich town centre beats Sheffield by quite some distance. The fact that I prefer going into Chesterfield rather then Sheffield to do my shopping tells you how far back Sheffield town centre has fallen.

Sheffield city centre is maybe a bit better laid out then Norwich town centre but beyond that Norwich town centre beats Sheffield by quite some distance. The fact that I prefer going into Chesterfield rather then Sheffield to do my shopping tells you how far back Sheffield town centre has fallen.

Try living there...

It was great a few years ago when basically all the council owned multi story car parks were shut because they discovered they were all suffering from concrete cancer and were dangerous. Makes the parking complaints up here seem trivial.

Like I said, lovely city centre for tourists, but it's certainly no better than Sheffield for the locals. Avoiding Norwich city centre to use the outlying town centres instead is completely normal.

Try living there...

It was great a few years ago when basically all the council owned multi story car parks were shut because they discovered they were all suffering from concrete cancer and were dangerous. Makes the parking complaints up here seem trivial.

Like I said, lovely city centre for tourists, but it's certainly no better than Sheffield for the locals. Avoiding Norwich city centre to use the outlying town centres instead is completely normal.

I would gladly take you up on your offer to try living there! I really enjoyed my time living in Colchester in spite of the awful 1 way system there.

In what sense? highlight some of the pros and cons of each.

I travel to Norwich quite often and find the drivers are very arrogant compared to a lot of other cities. The general moods of locals are (in my opinion) abrupt and impatient - unless you are on the outskirts.

I wouldn't live there, but that is only my opinion of the place.

In what sense? highlight some of the pros and cons of each.

Here we go then.

Norwich city centre has a thriving independent retail culture, lots of music shops, clothes, furniture, cafe's, restaurants, pubs, bars. all independent, all high quality, alongside all the High Street chain.

It has a real pride for it's cultural, architectural and historic significance, with a superb blend of old and new buildings and plenty of civic references to it's place in the past and present.

It has possibly the best outdoor, city market I have ever visited with a huge array of meat, game, fruit ,veg, fish, shellfish, books, crafts etc.

It has a noticeable lack of the hooligan/chav element.

I could go on.

and

Sheffield has none of these.

The coach to Norwich takes over 7½ hours and requires changing at least once.

The direct train is 3½ hours- faster by changing at Doncaster and Peterborough/Stevenage. Split tickets for big savings.

Car at least 3¾ with big delays due to holiday/weekend and road works very common.

Great place for a young family with plenty of places to explore but older teenagers might find it lacking in things to do.

Local food is brilliant and the beer even better.

Being too far for most to commute to London has its benefits. It is the centre for a very big area and so has all the facilities that a much bigger city would have.

It is much colder in winter but the summers are longer, drier and warmer.

If your job requires you to move in the future then there are plenty of worse places than Norwich.

As much as I love Sheffield, you shouldn't let a fear of leaving prevent you from living your life. As you said

It's a great opportunity and a job I want to do...
so I think you should take a leap of faith and enjoy your life. Plus you'll always be able to come back and visit, and they'll be able to visit you. I understand that it's a big move, but I left to go to Bournemouth a few years ago and I was scared about leaving my family and friends at first too, but I'm glad I went through with it.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

I'm doing the same, to the south coast, but it depends upon the person doing the move?

Do you have family going with you (if going alone, look on Gumtree for flats?)? There's always skype, phones, email etc?

Cheap coach travel home in a few hours every other weekend?

I didn't realise E.T. ... I hope everything turns up roses for you.:thumbsup::thumbsup: