How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

It's not cheap to run a car at all - the fact is that for a lot of people logistics make public transport entirely unviable.

It isn't cheap but only about 15% of households don't have a car so most people can still apparently afford to have one.

I agree though that the public transport network isn't good. I'm surprised though that more people don't cycle instead of driving when public transport is slow. There was a huge increase in cylcing in London when the congestion charge was introduced. Why are there so few cyclists in Sheffield?

It isn't cheap but only about 15% of households don't have a car so most people can still apparently afford to have one.

I agree though that the public transport network isn't good. I'm surprised though that more people don't cycle instead of driving when public transport is slow. There was a huge increase in cylcing in London when the congestion charge was introduced. Why are there so few cyclists in Sheffield?

I'm not a cyclist but surely the number of steep hills must put a few off?

I'm not a cyclist but surely the number of steep hills must put a few off?

you are probably right, which just goes to show how shamelessly lazy we have become.

Note to self - get out on the bike this week!!

It isn't cheap to run a car, but once you are running one you are already paying the fixed costs like insurance, road tax, depreciation. So any additional journeys are just at the additional costs like fuel, wear & tear. When you do the sums you and your mates can get to the restaurant by car far cheaper than on a bus.

It isn't cheap to run a car, but once you are running one you are already paying the fixed costs like insurance, road tax, depreciation. So any additional journeys are just at the additional costs like fuel, wear & tear. When you do the sums you and your mates can get to the restaurant by car far cheaper than on a bus.

I'm not sure you can. Annual bus fair at £12.00 per week for as many journeys you can fit in is £624. Is that really cheaper than getting a car?

I'm not sure you can. Annual bus fair at £12.00 per week for as many journeys you can fit in is £624. Is that really cheaper than getting a car?

Uptown Girl mentioned sharing a car..if there's 4 of you then that would mean you'd have to spend nearly £2500 on bus fares...

Well just dropped my car off for its mot and got the bus home, a 5 min car journey took 40 mins inc waiting for a bus, i would have walked quicker but for the fact i had my 2 year old daughter with me...i can see why people dont like them, it kills loads of time from doing more constructive things!!

Uptown Girl mentioned sharing a car..if there's 4 of you then that would mean you'd have to spend nearly £2500 on bus fares...

4 adults who always only go places together?

---------- Post added 15-04-2014 at 14:34 ----------

The number in Sheffield has increased by a similar % to that in London in recent years.

I'm sure the starting number was lower, and I expect that the hills do put a lot of people off.

---------- Post added 15-04-2014 at 14:40 ----------

Some very interesting replies. It seems that for most people once we decide we need a car at least some of the time (and commit to buying and running one) then that is it... no more public transport!

It would appear reducing bus fares alone wouldn't be enough to tempt most people out of their cars. Perhaps the real problem is that it is too cheap to own and run a car!

I cycle, but I also use the tram at weekends or occasionally during the week. My car spends most of it's time sitting on the drive.

My OH takes the tram to the train station for work most days. Leaving her car at home.

For both of us this is due to time, parking availability and costs (although in my case time means that the cycle is quicker, for her, the tram is quicker)...

What I'm trying to highlight is that what form of transport people chose depends on a variety of factors, I don't think many people would chose to take the car if it didn't actually make the most sense somehow (be that speed, convenience, load capacity, privacy, cost or something else) even when they do own one.

4 adults who always only go places together?

Why not? Doesn't have to always be the same 4 does it?

For me cost isn't the real issue, it's other factors such as journey length and boot space that keep me in the car.

For example, comparing my daily commute by car and public transport.

By Car.

Outbound. Leave at 0845 arrive 0945

Inbound. Leave at 1700 arrive 1820

By public transport.

Outbound. Leave at 0700. Walk to bus stop (7min), 85 Bus to High Green (10min). Walk to next bus stop (1min), bus to Chapeltown (13min). Walk to train station (1min). Catch train at 0748. Change at Barnsley and Leeds. Arrive Bradford 0928. Being fed up with public transport walk to work, 15min.

Inbound. Something equally long and tedious. Arrive home around midnight.

So, barring any buses or trains running late (because that never happens) it is at least 2hrs40min to work. Each way. Sod that.

Other examples would be doing the weekly shop to find that there is no where to put my shopping or going for a walk in the countryside only to find I've missed the last bus home. By a week.

jb

Edited by barleycorn

Why not? Doesn't have to always be the same 4 does it?

Car sharing isn't popular because it's a pain having to work to someone elses schedule.

I can't see 4 adults managing to car share all the time, everywhere. Not even if it weren't always the same 4 adults. (Not that it makes any sense if it isn't, what cost are you then comparing it to?)

Surely people have better things to do then wait for a bus, stopping every few minutes at bus stop and have to walk to destination. i park my car on my drive and a private parking space outside work, no amount of saving would i consider usung the loser cruiser