Gay friendly, progressive church wanted

I think the Quakers are the only properly gay-friendly Christians - they are the only ones who are going to allow marriages in their churches.

I thought of the Quakers, but OP wants adult baptism; Quakers don't baptise as a ceremony, leaving baptism to be done by the Spirit

If you realise that you aren't conformed by the "laws" of society then why do you want to go to a meeting place for close minded people?

Science > God

If you realise that you aren't conformed by the "laws" of society then why do you want to go to a meeting place for close minded people?

Science > God

I think its another drama queen thing, trolling type thread, surly an intelligent adult wouldn't be wanting to be baptized in this century.

then again, is the op an intelligent adult ? :suspect:

Edited by quicken

Christians don't have a problem with gay people, neither does God. We're all sinful, and it is that which gets in the way, whatever it is. Why don't you try a few churches out and meet some Christians, they don't bite.

No thats just some disgusting little lie told to make people fall in line and follow the bible.

At the end of the day, your sexuality is your business. What you do behind closed doors with your partner is your affair.

So any establishment that you attend for religious or recreational purposes doesn't need to know!

Especially if you don't fall into the gay stereotype (silly voice etc) that many straight people would associate with being gay.

What I'm trying to say in a polite way, is that you don't have to come out to everyone on the planet. Just get on with life with being a human being and keep your love life private which most other people try to do.

what he said

Think you will find that the passages that refer to being gay as a sin actually refer to gay rape.

A lot of Catholic priests have sinned then.

My advice is: give up the religion. It in itself is not tolerant of that sort of thing, so by being that way, you're already going against the "guidelines". If you do not meet the requirement, then why follow it to begin with?

Move on and drop the religion, it is 2014, we have moved on past a flat earth, superstitions, and witch craft.

There's a Unitarian place in town that is inclusive. It might fit your bill?

I am wanting to join a church in Sheffield, preferably near S11 area but can travel. But I'm trying to find one that isn't sexist, homophobic etc. One that's a bit more modern. All I can find on the Internet is CofE churches but I'm wanting to be baptised as an adult. Any ideas?

I think CofE churches can offer adult baptism (or combined baptism and confirmation services).

St Tim's in Crookes perhaps isn't the most modern church, but is busy, has plenty going on, and is known for being gay-friendly. It might be worth a look.

I'm sure the vicar would be very happy to talk to you about what you want and whether St Tim's would be a good fit. The office number's 266 1745.

I'm not an expert in religions and stuff like that but don't limit yourself to certain kinds. Maybe there is a Muslim Church that is good with gay things too? Or a Hindoo one maybe? I'm sure there are other cults too (like Seex or Jewish faith).

i would second the suggestions of crookes valley / broomhill methodist. also st mark's bromhill (c of e)is very gay friendly and i think they do gay marriage / blessing or whatever the term is. hope you find somewhere you like

I keep seeing Church and modern, wouldn't that be an oxyMoron,