Bringing medications into hospital

What I mean is that the nurses with the drugs trolley are supposed to monitor your intake of drugs..... how can this be done if you have access to extra or different drugs in your bedside table ? When a patient is at home, the patient or carer is responsible for their own intake of drugs. Whilst in hospital surely this is the responsibility of the person giving out the medication ? To just leave a bag of several different tablets etc in the patient's cabinet is WRONG. Does this happen to people suffering with dementia too who often haven't a clue what they're doing ? A very serious matter which could have very serious consequences.

Well I guess they wouldn't leave the medication for a dementia sufferer or a vulnerable patient in their bedside locker, everyone else probably maintains the sense they were born with.

Do you know this for sure?

Yes, you are asked to take into hospital any medication you are currently taking. Then these are supposed to be taken off you and placed into the drugs trolley. On discharge you are then given any remaining medication back to take home. Under no circumstances should ANY drugs be left in bedside tables.

They are not supposed to leave ANY patient with medication in their bedside table, but it does happen.

I know it's not Sheffield but Derby hospitals actively encourage patients to self administer their own drugs whilst in hospital.

http://www.derbyhospitals.nhs.uk/primary/pharmacy/patients-own-drugs/

Nurses seem to like it too..

http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practice/clinical-zones/prescribing/should-hospital-patients-routinely-administer-their-own-medicines/5033018.blog

Yes, you are asked to take into hospital any medication you are currently taking. Then these are supposed to be taken off you and placed into the drugs trolley. On discharge you are then given any remaining medication back to take home. Under no circumstances should ANY drugs be left in bedside tables.

How do you know this?

Yes, you are asked to take your medication in, but no, I don't always do it.

One reason for this is, for instance, that the RHH won't deal with one of my pills and if I take it they just confiscate it from me as it's a controlled medicine and then refuse to let me take the pills.

According to the RHH the last twice I've been in, I should take their choice of pain control and my standard regime which is prescribed from the palliative care service doesn't apply when I'm in the hospital. This is rather an issue for me because I'm on that pain control regime specifically because the standard protocol makes me puke for England for 24 hours off one dose so I don't consider it very appropriate for me.

The last time I was in I came to a deal with them which entailed a visitor bringing me one dose of my pain regime from outside the hospital twice a day and they would stand and watch me take it. They wouldn't store it for me or allow me to store it in the bedside lock box or cabinet, or allow the visitor to bring in more than one dose at a time, but that was the compromise that allowed me to continue my normal medication.

I'm not taking a whole packet of pills with me just so they can be confiscated again.

I find this rather surprising. I have taken controlled drugs in many times and never had a problem, despite it being one the RHH don't prescribe themselves. If you have the original prescription, the packet with the label on and are conversant enough to explain the dosages etc I can't see why they would confiscate them (as in not give them back to take home, whenever that may be!)

We lock patients own meds in the cupboard provided in the locker , we don't put them in our drug trolley . Any Controlled Drugs are taken & put in our CD cupboard & entered into the book . We then give these back to the patient when they go home. Some patients can self administer but , they have to pass an assessment to make certain they are able to do so safely.

We lock patients own meds in the cupboard provided in the locker , we don't put them in our drug trolley . Any Controlled Drugs are taken & put in our CD cupboard & entered into the book . We then give these back to the patient when they go home. Some patients can self administer but , they have to pass an assessment to make certain they are able to do so safely.

This is exactly what happened when I was admitted in to the Northern General . Couldn't fault anyone !