Bringing medications into hospital

Could anyone tell me if when patients come into Hospital , are you asked to bring in any regular medications you take , in with you . Because , I have had the biggest hassle this week while I have been on nights . As some people take medications for things like Cardiac illness , or something else , when they don't bring their medications in we then have to try & get those particular drugs . We have a certain amount of stock , but when it is something we don't have on the ward , it is difficult to get hold of the drug. As the Senior Staff Nurse , it is my responsibility to ensure my patients get their prescribed drugs , but when these aren't brought in , it is so difficult when we are on nights

Sorry but as a Senior Staff Nurse I cant believe you don't know the answer to this already,without resorting to asking on the forum.

Oh and the answer is yes ,they are asked to bring in any Medication they are taking.

I hope you don't have that attitude with your patients.

I know when I had to go into hospital I was told to take with me any prescription drugs I was on,When an elderly relative was admitted as an emergency we were asked then to send her drugs with her,

Nikita

I am sorry If you think I was harsh . What happened was , a patient had not bought his medications in & he had such important drugs . With being on nights , it is so difficult to find out who has these drugs. I ended up looking in a box where we have medications that patients that had gone home . I found some of them , but not all , but couldn't give them straight away because I had to get them prescribed first. I just wish GP would ask them to bring all their meds in

Yes, you are asked to take your medication in, but no, I don't always do it.

One reason for this is, for instance, that the RHH won't deal with one of my pills and if I take it they just confiscate it from me as it's a controlled medicine and then refuse to let me take the pills.

According to the RHH the last twice I've been in, I should take their choice of pain control and my standard regime which is prescribed from the palliative care service doesn't apply when I'm in the hospital. This is rather an issue for me because I'm on that pain control regime specifically because the standard protocol makes me puke for England for 24 hours off one dose so I don't consider it very appropriate for me.

The last time I was in I came to a deal with them which entailed a visitor bringing me one dose of my pain regime from outside the hospital twice a day and they would stand and watch me take it. They wouldn't store it for me or allow me to store it in the bedside lock box or cabinet, or allow the visitor to bring in more than one dose at a time, but that was the compromise that allowed me to continue my normal medication.

I'm not taking a whole packet of pills with me just so they can be confiscated again.

Yes, you are asked to take your medication in, but no, I don't always do it.

One reason for this is, for instance, that the RHH won't deal with one of my pills and if I take it they just confiscate it from me as it's a controlled medicine and then refuse to let me take the pills.

According to the RHH the last twice I've been in, I should take their choice of pain control and my standard regime which is prescribed from the palliative care service doesn't apply when I'm in the hospital. This is rather an issue for me because I'm on that pain control regime specifically because the standard protocol makes me puke for England for 24 hours off one dose so I don't consider it very appropriate for me.

The last time I was in I came to a deal with them which entailed a visitor bringing me one dose of my pain regime from outside the hospital twice a day and they would stand and watch me take it. They wouldn't store it for me or allow me to store it in the bedside lock box or cabinet, or allow the visitor to bring in more than one dose at a time, but that was the compromise that allowed me to continue my normal medication.

I'm not taking a whole packet of pills with me just so they can be confiscated again.

Is that even legal?

Presumably it's on your medical notes, that the medicine the hospital are forcing you to take if you want to access the medical treatment you're entitlied to, makes you ill?