Free Rail Travel, only 8 more weeks

About saving, the banks operate a system that makes your money less valuable as time goes on.

A large amount of money reduces in value and some politician or bank making a mistake and it is all gone. Several stories of entire honeypots disappearing into nowhere. Certain honeypots are protected by government but these are not in your financial interest.

The banks pay interest, inflation is what reduces the value of money, which is a central government invention.

Savings accounts don't just disappear into nothing.

The changes that are proposed will bring SY in line with the national requirements of ENCTS elderly passes starting at 9.30. At present the PTE pay to allow them to be used from 9.00-9.30 as an extra concession.

Mobility passes should not be affected

According to the SYPTE press release they are cutting back disabled free travel. As such a pass holder I find this unacceptable and if Silvia Anginotti (the councillor in my ward whose seat is next up for election) fails to vote to reject these cuts then I will have plenty of ammunition to give the other candidates and a bit left over to give the other candidates when it comes to the General Election.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 13:02 ----------

About time, OAPs have had plenty of Ttime in their working life to save up for when they get old, looking forward to getting on the train without tripping over those stupidly oversized shopping carts!

Have you tried to get these oversized shopping carts on Class 142s?

Edited by CheekyBandit

Probably about the time you can start to use them in a morning. At present 9am it could be changed to 9.30 am

When Jaffa began the thread I phoned the travel line number to clarify. The woman told me about the meeting and what it was for. I relayed here in my post, but I don`t know who is right, I`m just the messenger.

About saving, the banks operate a system that makes your money less valuable as time goes on.

A large amount of money reduces in value and some politician or bank making a mistake and it is all gone. Several stories of entire honeypots disappearing into nowhere. Certain honeypots are protected by government but these are not in your financial interest.

Take your money out of the Bank then, and donate it to a worthy cause like the Labour Party- then you might manage to sleep at night.

The banks pay interest, inflation is what reduces the value of money, which is a central government invention.

Savings accounts don't just disappear into nothing.

Your interest only covers half of inflation. The other half disappears in lost value.

I went to ask about the trains today and was told the meeting to make a decision over this is next month.

If all of this doe's happen I wonder if it counts for all the thousands of immigrants in Sheffield? I don't think so.

The proposed change to use of English National Concessionary Travel Scheme passes in South Yorkshire will cut it back to the minimum offered in the national scheme, which is government funded, removing the majority of optional extras that have been locally funded.

This means that Senior and Disabled passes, from the 1st April, will offer:

Free travel on local buses in England Monday to Friday 09:30 to 23:00

Free travel on local buses in England Saturdays and Sundays all day

Free travel on Sheffield's Supertram subject to the same restrictions as above

What will no longer be offered is:

Free rail travel

Free bus and tram travel before 09:30 or after 23:00 on weekdays.

This is due to SYPTE facing another funding cut this year and needing to save about 10% of their budget. As well as the changes to concessionary travel they are making 45 staff redundant, withdrawing the Freebee bus services in Sheffield & Rotherham, withdrawing one of the Park & Ride buses in Doncaster and increasing the cost of using community transport services.

At this stage it is a proposal being put to the Intergrated Transport Authority meeting, however if this does not happen the alternative is to instead axe ALL tendered bus services (including rural buses, evening buses, school buses and hospital buses).

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 17:47 ----------

The changes that are proposed will bring SY in line with the national requirements of ENCTS elderly passes starting at 9.30. At present the PTE pay to allow them to be used from 9.00-9.30 as an extra concession.

Mobility passes should not be affected

Mobility passes will also be subject to the same time restrictions - 09:30-23:00. The ability to use them anytime at the moment is funded by SYPTE above and beyond the national scheme.

sure;y with such a massive restriction of movement for disabled people especially there needs to be proper and detailed consultation before such a dramatic change?

its going to cause a significant disruption for disabled peoples quality of life. I would have thought they could have found a compromise before such drastic measures.

for example entitling pass holders to half or child fare out of these hours. Disabled people in south yorkshire will become even more isolated..

unbelievable.

If all of this doe's happen I wonder if it counts for all the thousands of immigrants in Sheffield? I don't think so.

It's got absolutely beggar-all to do with immigrants.

Andy C,

That is bad news for a lot of people if it goes ahead. I don`t undersatnd why stopping train travel is on the agenda. What I mean is, they don`t register a person`s pass on the train for charging puposes like on the buses. You just flash it to the train guard. I can`t understand how train travel will affect the budget

According to the SYPTE press release they are cutting back disabled free travel. As such a pass holder I find this unacceptable and if Silvia Anginotti (the councillor in my ward whose seat is next up for election) fails to vote to reject these cuts then I will have plenty of ammunition to give the other candidates and a bit left over to give the other candidates when it comes to the General Election.

Cllr Sylvia Anginotti is not a member of South Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority and so won't get a vote on this.

Sheffield members are Vice Chair Cllr Bramall (Lab), Cllr Auckland (Lib Dem), Cllr Johnson (Lab), Cllr Lodge (Lab) and Cllr Rippon (Lab)

Andy C,

That is bad news for a lot of people if it goes ahead. I don`t undersatnd why stopping train travel is on the agenda. What I mean is, they don`t register a person`s pass on the train for charging puposes like on the buses. You just flash it to the train guard. I can`t understand how train travel will affect the budget

The train operators still get paid to accept the passes. The levels of usage is established by SYPTE auditors doing surveys on board.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 23:49 ----------

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 13:02 ----------

Have you tried to get these oversized shopping carts on Class 142s?

Such proposals are being forced by the government cutting funding again to SYPTE.

Remember

1) what is being cut is currently being provided above and beyond the English National Concessionary Travel scheme - pass holders will still enjoy the ENCTS benefits of free local bus travel anywhere in England between 9:30am and 11pm.

2) the alternative is to axe all tendered bus services, which may leave you with a pass but no buses to use it on! Tendered services include some evening, Sunday, rural, local and school services.