Fluorescent billboard on Parkway, in front of Magnomatics is annoying!

Some were and some weren't

In that case, the oncoming traffic on the other side of the same stretch would cause a greater distraction/glare.

I do find it odd how long the road lighting there has been off for though.

The lights were out all summer at the parkway market turn-off.

Some were and some weren't

In that case, the oncoming traffic on the other side of the same stretch would cause a greater distraction/glare.

I do find it odd how long the road lighting there has been off for though.

No, headlights are angled away from the centre of the road for this reason. There's a central reservation on the parkway too. Chances of being dazzled by normal oncoming headlights anywhere on the parkway are near zero.

If there's a bright sign angled towards the road in an unlit section, that's completely different.

I finally saw this sign in the dark yesterday, it's the one for Mercury Taxis?

I can't see what the fuss is about, it's just an advert illuminated from behind, hardly the dazzling experience I'd been led to expect from reading this thread.

I can't see what the fuss is about, it's just an advert illuminated from behind, hardly the dazzling experience I'd been led to expect from reading this thread.

no you saw a different ad. there are 2 on there that aren't a problem, its the one with a near all white background, if it had changed to that one while you drove past you may think different

no you saw a different ad. there are 2 on there that aren't a problem, its the one with a near all white background, if it had changed to that one while you drove past you may think different

The Mercury Taxis ad is the one with a near all white background

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 17:17 ----------

No, headlights are angled away from the centre of the road for this reason. There's a central reservation on the parkway too. Chances of being dazzled by normal oncoming headlights anywhere on the parkway are near zero.
Physics disagrees with you. Although much of the light can be focused through the lens, a headlamp bulb radiates light in all directions. This is why you can see a headlamp from several miles away without it even being directed toward you.

To put it simply, oncoming headlamps on the other side of the road are bright enough that they produce a flared corona effect (glare), while the sign does not.

You may want to have a look at this link

As for the central reservation, you mean this? :suspect:

...you think will block headlamps from the other side of the parkway? :huh:

If there's a bright sign angled towards the road in an unlit section, that's completely different.

In this case there isn't a bright sign angled towards the road. It's horizontally and vertically level, above eye level and angled (edgeways) at 90° to the road. It is directed parallel along side the road, not at it.

Edited by RootsBooster

It's the brightness relative to it's surroundings that matters, a light that you'd hardly notice during a bright day can dazzle you on an unlit road at night, after your eyes have adjusted to the darkness. Maybe if the street lights were working it wouldn't be a problem.

indeed

it's amazing how basic physics seems to evade certain people on here :hihi:

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 17:06 ----------

for sure

driven up there early this morning and looks like someone's been listening to the complaints!

Glare has been dimmed, and the white light isn't as bright as it had been.

the blue bell wood advert is still too bright though! :)

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 17:08 ----------

there are rolling ads nagel

some are worse than others

and the lights appear to have been adjusted and dimmed since the original complaints about it

:D

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 17:13 ----------

For those of you wishing to complain about this private, intrusive billboard, message me and I'll give you the details of who to write to. Cheers Sol :)

Edited by Solomon1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's dangerous.

I ride a motorbike past it every morning and when it's displaying a bright white advert I have to consciously not look at it and focus on the road. If you look straight at it it really dazzles you and takes time for your eyes to readjust once you've passed it. It's even worse when it's raining and your visor is covered in water, then it virtually blinds you. Ok, it's not literally as bad as direct full beam in your eyes but it's not that far off.

To those saying your eyes are too sensitive etc. Many people are complaining that it distracts them. Regardless of whether it distracts you or not, this should be enough for the council to do something about it. Even if it is only an extremely minor hazard, it differs from headlights and such as they are necessary. This is an advertising billboard thats only function is to sell products and services which, to me at least, is not reason enough to distract drivers' attention on a 50mph dual carriageway.

I will write to the council now and copy in a link to this thead. I'll post again when they reply.

Hopefully we'll get something changed!

I think it's dangerous.

I ride a motorbike past it every morning and when it's displaying a bright white advert I have to consciously not look at it and focus on the road. If you look straight at it it really dazzles you and takes time for your eyes to readjust once you've passed it. It's even worse when it's raining and your visor is covered in water, then it virtually blinds you. Ok, it's not literally as bad as direct full beam in your eyes but it's not that far off.

To those saying your eyes are too sensitive etc. Many people are complaining that it distracts them. Regardless of whether it distracts you or not, this should be enough for the council to do something about it. Even if it is only an extremely minor hazard, it differs from headlights and such as they are necessary. This is an advertising billboard thats only function is to sell products and services which, to me at least, is not reason enough to distract drivers' attention on a 50mph dual carriageway.

I will write to the council now and copy in a link to this thead. I'll post again when they reply.

Hopefully we'll get something changed!

40 mph....