Acne treatments..

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any good acne treatments? Preferably not medication as I can't swallow tablets..

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any good acne treatments? Preferably not medication as I can't swallow tablets..

How old are you? (Sorry to be personal, but it does matter!)

How old are you? (Sorry to be personal, but it does matter!)

Hi, i'm 25 soon turning 26 in March..

It would be advisable to consult your GP to get a course of treatment best suited to you and your skin, but this NHS website has some useful information about available treatments, some of them topical, i.e. applied to the face, as opposed to systemic (swallowed):

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Acne/Pages/Treatment.aspx

I know you say that you would prefer not to go down the medication route, but I suffered severe acne till I was 25, I saw a GP who advised a relatively successful treatment which was a 3 month course of Roaccutane tablets, or Isotretinoin as it it now more commonly known as, the best thing in the world for me, never had much of a problem since then.

Be warned though as with most medication the side effects can be horrendous.

I used to buy some cream from the chemist, but can't remember what it's called unfortunately. It's only available from an actual pharmacy, its in a purple tube in a purple box. Marvellous stuff!

If I,can remember the name of it, will get back to you, but maybe somebody else knows?

Ah, I think,it was called Quinoderm. ,,,,,,,,,

Edited by MonkeyLover

It would be advisable to consult your GP to get a course of treatment best suited to you and your skin

Good advice.

A course of antibiotics did the the trick for me many years ago. Things have doubtless moved on since then but tablets (yup, sorry) may be the most sure treatment.

Hello all,

Anita Roddick told a story about the people of South America rubbing fresh pineapple on their faces to give them a clearer completion. As a result she came out with a pineapple face wash.

Also, people in The Philippines rub fresh avocado on their face for a face pack, which is full of vitamin E, very good for repairing the skin, but costs a fortune if you buy concentrated vitamin E oil. However, you could always eat a fresh soft ripe one by spreading on a soft roll with some salt and black pepper. Bland but creamy.

Hello all,

do not let them prescribe you a cream that has to be mixed at the chemist (it comes in a white pot as i recall) it contains peroxide and if too much of it is added it can cause burns to your face. happened to me with two batches of this cream. i wish i could remember what it was called though! had to go to a christmas do with huge scabs on my face, looked awful on the pics :gag:

I work for a company called forever living. We have had many clients use our aloe vera products for skin problems such as acne and eczema and have had excellent results. Feel free to pm me for more info x

If you're not already doing this: find a face wash that does not irritate you and does cause your skin to produce extra oil, instead of using a face flannel use your clean hands only, instead of using a towel use a good kitchen roll to dry off your face when you wash, drink lots of water, change your pillow slip every night.