Buying alcohol with a teenager in tow.

I asked that very question to the manager,his reply was that if the assistant SUSPECTED the alcohol could be for a person under 18 [which it wasnt] she would be breaking the law by serving me.:loopy:

Unless you could prove that the girl was your daughter then technically they are correct...

But I'm in agreement with you, refusing to serve an adult who has a child family member with them is ridiculous, I'd be quite happy to walk out and leave a weeks shopping for them to try to restock at that point.

I think the law presumes that if your kids drink alcohol in the house then you will be responsible and ensure that they don't overdo it..if you buy it for them in the supermarket and give it to them to drink as and when they want you won't have quite the same control...

I agree but I think Kidley's point is that this approach is muddled and probably not that effective as retailers can't supervise alcohol use at the point of consumption.

---------- Post added 02-01-2014 at 12:52 ----------

That's insane. What kind of uniform, not that it really makes any difference?

Up until 2003 it was an offence to sell alcohol to a police officer in uniform!

I work in a supermarket and yes I agree it's very stupid and makes us look pedantic and ridiculous sometimes. I've had to refuse people before and I've been threatened and abused over it which was pretty scary. However, we are CONSTANTLY having training on Think 25 and what the repercussions are of us selling alcohol that end up in the hands of a minor. I would lose my job, get a massive fine that I couldn't pay and I could even face prosecution. For me, it's really not worth the risk unfortunately so I'm super cautious. I agree though it's senseless.

How do you imagine that you can somehow prevent parents from giving alcohol to their children? And why would you, when it's perfectly legal (assuming they are over 5).

I'd be interested to hear Kidley's solution...

I ant got one.

as i said above i cannot get my head around it, i still think it is illegal to buy alcohol for any minor even your own kids. but its not illegal to let them drink ( what you have bought ) it in letts say private.

Edited by kidley
added text

Unless you could prove that the girl was your daughter then technically they are correct...

But I'm in agreement with you, refusing to serve an adult who has a child family member with them is ridiculous, I'd be quite happy to walk out and leave a weeks shopping for them to try to restock at that point.

No. Regardless of what the manager may have said, the Sales Assistant would NOT be breaking the law.

Like I have said, even the Managers need re-training.

If the Sales Assistant/Cashier can be proved to have known that this was a proxy sale on behalf of a minor, then they can be found guilty of a crime, but it is almost impossible to prove.

Edited by cgksheff

I offered to show them both mine and my daughters driving licence to prove she was my daughter,i was told it made no difference.Im not much of a drinker TBH and i was only buying it for new years eve [not for my daughter]so by next new years eve she will be 18 anyway so i wont have to hide her outside to avoid a repeat of this problem:)