The New Moor Market

Eureka:) A post that underlines exactly how City's should plan without the lets pull it down mentality that has been the policy in Sheffield over the last fifty years.

This policy has caused us to lose so much of the character that made our City so different to the usual bland planning that is so prevalent in most big City's in England.

Well, what do you expect? You Sheffielders are too hot headed to either move, or that you are too stubborn to capture the new. Now you guys are bait, and so it should be too. :D

Tourism is and has to sell the city now in order to bring in businesses and revenues.

http://www.worldtravelawards.com/profile-29549-welcome-to-yorkshire

Well, it seems to be working because they managed to get Tour De France here, so it must be quite well done.

You guys better keep your accent for authenticity sake !

Wouldn't mind seeing some maypole dancing too. ;)

Edited by salsafan

One good thing about Castle Market is it scared tourists.

But it should not though, because most big cities actually has a market that attracts tourism too.

I remember visiting the one in Stockholm and it is a working local market where they sell fish and other produces to the local community, as well as attracting tourists too to taste their local delicacies. So it is win-win overall.

If this gets going, then it can even be written into guide books, and they normally DO write about this kind of thing. A friend recently posted on his Facebook about this yummy Yorkshire Ham, so it is indeed quite revered. I am not sure if the locals here realises this kind of selling point of old heritage.

I also miss a good roast sandwich. I cannot see them anywhere any more. I found a place in York recently when I went with my bf, and he was wow'd by it. It was so fresh and so nice. I really miss that kind of thing from my childhood days. You used to be able to get actual entire roast ham from the market for very little money. Then cross the road, and you can get a roast chicken nicely done at this store next to the Co-op. People used to queue a lot for this too.

I know that the supermarkets also do this now but there is no reason why it cannot be brought back too in the market. I think the ham is a good idea. I rather buy a whole roasted small size ham and cut it for my sandwiches per week than to buy prepacked ham.

I note that Leeds Market is being upgraded. It was featured on Look North tonight and if the comments of market traders is to be believed is about to make the same mistakes as Sheffield. It seems that a new hall is being built on the old market car park. To quote 1 market trader "No car park means no customers". I bet Leeds council planners don't listen.

Went in town last week not been for ages. How disgusted i was. Town center and the moor

so run down to many cheap and tacky shops.what was the point in moving TJ Huges just to put other cheap horrible shops in there.why cant we have a nice shop like Walshs used to be.We dont all want TAT.

Do they still want to pull the old Co-op down? I think that's worth saving.

It's not clear what the plan is but whatever it is, it's not happening soon the landlord put a signup advertising retail space in there. It's a nice building but aside from the ground floor shops, it's looking increasingly worn out. Another building going to rack and ruin because no has a clear plan for it, although this time we can blame the co-op group not the council.

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 23:36 ----------

Went in town last week not been for ages. How disgusted i was. Town center and the moor

so run down to many cheap and tacky shops.what was the point in moving TJ Huges just to put other cheap horrible shops in there.why cant we have a nice shop like Walshs used to be.We dont all want TAT.

If you don't go into the centre you can hardly complain when the shops you liked close down. Not sure what you expected to happen?

Because too many of the local populus want cheap tacky shops. They are only there doing a roring trade and opening branch after branch because they know the market is there.

Counsumers vote with their feet. You demand cheap - you get it.

Unfortunatley there simply is not enough "Walshs" type shoppers out there. Even the Department Stores we have are struggling and have had to adapt to the lower end of the lines.

Any hope of a Harvey Nics or Selfridges opening anytime soon aint gonna happen.

Because too many of the local populus want cheap tacky shops. They are only there doing a roring trade and opening branch after branch because they know the market is there.

Counsumers vote with their feet. You demand cheap - you get it.

Unfortunatley there simply is not enough "Walshs" type shoppers out there. Even the Department Stores we have are struggling and have had to adapt to the lower end of the lines.

Any hope of a Harvey Nics or Selfridges opening anytime soon aint gonna happen.

In Sheffield you mean. They seem to be doing OK everywhere else.

I note that Leeds Market is being upgraded. It was featured on Look North tonight and if the comments of market traders is to be believed is about to make the same mistakes as Sheffield. It seems that a new hall is being built on the old market car park. To quote 1 market trader "No car park means no customers". I bet Leeds council planners don't listen.

Planners never listen to listen means that they are not necessary .