Should Sheffield move its city centre out to Meadowhall?

And when they're fed up of that, on their way home, they can call into Ikea and buy a new Wardrobe to lug onto the bus (when it eventually turns up an hour late):hihi:

Only if we simple Sheffield folk aren't aware of other delivery options such as home delivery yet :nod:

Would one of the 'Sheffield City Council Hates Motorists' brigade care to tell us of a similar sized city that loves them?

Retail nationally is declining by 20% per year. It would be very stupid to hang a city's future on a dying industry and in particular a tatty 80s shopping mall.

I think we'll see two things happen:

- The city centre will become an 'old town', with bars, cafes, restaurants and niche independent shops; a lot of which will serve the intellectual classes who work at the universities, government departments, law firms etc. that are based in offices there

- Sheffield East will become the main private sector business hub (a CBD if you like) where everything that needs either space for storage or transport links (access to M1, HS2 and perhaps a reopened airport) will locate. The shops will be more the warehouse type of places where you go to collect things bought on the internet. I expect the bars and restaurants will remain the bland generic ones aimed at teenage mallrats

---------- Post added 19-11-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Would one of the 'Sheffield City Council Hates Motorists' brigade care to tell us of a similar sized city that loves them?

Liverpool's new administration have just abolished all bus lanes.

Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham are all far easier to drive into and around, because for the past four decades they have invested in infrustructure, whilst Sheffield threw its money away on subsidising buses.

Please walk from the law courts, to the bottom of the Moor, and back, in ten minutes.

Go on.

Do it.

That's a lap round most of the city centre, including the bits the council want to knock down. If the Moor is your destination of choice why are you parking by the courts? The main shopping strip starts at Fargate which is a 10 minute walk from the courts, if you can't handle the open air can I suggest Meadowhall? I hear these days they give you your soul back at the end of your visit.

Edited by smiggs

Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham are all far easier to drive into and around, because for the past four decades they have invested in infrustructure, whilst Sheffield threw its money away on subsidising buses.

"LCC [Leeds City Council] are the enemy of business" - from a thread on this forum's Leeds cousin about parking in the City

That's a lap round most of the city centre, including the bits the council want to knock down. If the Moor is your destination of choice why are you parking by the courts? The main shopping strip starts at Fargate which is a 10 minute walk from the courts...

Is that a serious question?

Sheffielders are want to park as cheaply as possible (by the courts, if necessary), and they want to shop where it's as cheap as possible, which usually means the 99p shop at Angel St at one end of town and Poundland at the bottom of the Moor, which is at the other end of town. Yes, that does mean walking from one end of the city centre to the other and back again, doesn't it? :nod:

Some people on here think it can be done in just ten minutes!

...if you can't handle the open air can I suggest Meadowhall? I hear these days they give you your soul back at the end of your visit.

I like this post :hihi:

Don't worry, I'll be avoiding Meadowhall and the queues until Spring 2013 :D (I mean Spring 2014 :blush: )

Edited by Jason Bourne
Got the year wrong!

Name a decent restaurant in Meadowhall... Or a decent bar. It's a dull place frequented by stupid people. By all means, keep going if it pleases you - but to imply Sheffield city centre has nothing to offer is just ludicrous.

To imply Meadowhall is only frequented by stupid people is also ludicrous.

By all means, keep going to the town centre if it pleases you - but don't pretend it's up to much these days unless you like street drinking, gambling, eating foul bakery mush or counting your items at the pound shops.

as meadowhall is closer to rotherham than sheffield city centre why not make it rotherhams town centre

and still waiting for the nice restaurants in there as no one has yet named one

is it because there are'nt any?

and as regards parking at the courts and walking to the moor , there is a free bus that runs around the town every 7 minutes

Is that the same Birmingham where the shopping centre is made up of largely pedestrianised areas with the car parking round the outside? The one that has all those posh shops that we apparently cant attract? Its actually a joy to Walk round and seemed to be thriving on my last visit

That would be the Leeds where you cant even pull over to look at an A-Z without attracting a parking warden and the resident's only zone has now been extended past the Eldon pub so you cant even park up to walk in to an evening gig at the O2 Academy without making a contribution to LCC?

Or the Manchester where I find traffic jams 3 lanes wide between Stretford & Chorlton when I visit my mates on a weekend.

As for buses , I thought Mrs Thatcher deregulated them nearly 30 years ago

as meadowhall is closer to rotherham than sheffield city centre why not make it rotherhams town centre

and still waiting for the nice restaurants in there as no one has yet named one

is it because there are'nt any?

and as regards parking at the courts and walking to the moor , there is a free bus that runs around the town every 7 minutes

why make it Rotherham town centre

Rotherham has its own town centre that is quite good with some decent shops

and a good paved area where cars can still drive through for access.

still have not named a nice restaurant have you and as in reality I am a lot closer to chesterfield

all I was pointing out is that meadowhall is closer to rotherham than anywhere else

To imply Meadowhall is only frequented by stupid people is also ludicrous.

By all means, keep going to the town centre if it pleases you - but don't pretend it's up to much these days unless you like street drinking, gambling, eating foul bakery mush or counting your items at the pound shops.

Or going to the theatre. Or going to see a band. Or working in an office. Or going to Uni. Or sitting in a park. Or eating in a nice restaurant. Or staying in a hotel. Or going to a spa. Or staying at home...