Keep Blockbuster Hillsborough open!

Do you want to keep Blockbuster at Hillsborough open?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep Blockbuster at Hillsborough open?

• Yes - I enjoy the service given
    • No - It doesn't affect me
    • Don't know - I don't know enough about this

The post office is staying in b & m, where it was when it was co-op

Why would another supermarket be an asset it would just suck the life out of all the local shops, you can get virtually everything you need in hillsborough without touching a supermarket, plus you have morrisons asda Tesco and a new Sainsburys not far away

I don't mean a fully blown supermarket, just a local tesco convenience store which is open late on a sunday (like the dykes hall road one) and evenings. Somewhere where you can pop out for milk, snacks, quick meals etc.

Edited by mogwai84

I like Corner News, a proper paper shop, i often call in for a paper / magazine or just a bottle of pop or some crisps on my lunchtime jaunts.

I don't mean a fully blown supermarket, just a local tesco convenience store which is open late on a sunday (like the dykes hall road one) and evenings. Somewhere where you can pop out for milk, snacks, quick meals etc.

Like the Co-op? Much missed. In my opinion a huge loss to Hillsborough. Hillsborough has many shops but no where where any one actually wants to shop. When I think food shopping in Hillsbrough I think butchers (a couple of good ones) and a bakers (Brooks) after that it's not so great. I've shopped many times in local greengrocers and they've been terrible (manky veg). If you want people to shop local raise your game! Stock fresh produce and be more freindly to your customers. They can be right misersable sods in the shops in Hillsborough.

Is there such a thing as a posh ready meal? Not being funny with that statement, I've tried M&S Ready Meals and think they are quite nasty to be honest - but that is a side issue.

Yes - these ones: http://www.cookfood.net/ (I am sure there are other suppliers too). They are not stocked in supermarkets but are sold by various independent shops. Their meals are frozen, and are delicious.

The main shoppers down Hillsborough are pensioners, who usually like to be up and about early and get their shopping done, or people from the areas near to Hillsborough, Parson Cross, Wadsley, Langsett Estate etc.

Younger people who live in Hillsborough don't tend to shop as much in Hillsborough, though most of them are at work during the day time, so may shop on their lunch break or after work in town (which also closes around 5pm) Unfortunately their aren't enough local, younger residents who may choose to shop after work, to justify local shops extending or changing their hours.

Is this cause or effect?

i.e. are you saying:

Because only pensioners shop in Hillsborough, the shops do not open in the evenings

OR

Only pensioners shop in Hillsborough, because the shops do not open in the evenings?

I know you said you're open til 5:30 but this is probably too early to judge whether there is a market for your goods in the evening as most people who work won't be getting back into Hillsborough until around 6:00.

Personally I do think there would be demand but it would need a good range of shops to be open. Just one or two shops opening late wouldn't work. I don't live in Hillsborough but I do often stop at Tesco on my way home to pick bits up. If I had local butcher, baker and green grocer open til late within walking distance, I would probably use them instead.

I don't think I would use a newsagents in the evening though as I buy my paper in the morning.

Dont think its big enough or secure enough. You also dont kow if B&M are giving favourable rates or paying them to have the PO on site.

Of course it isn't secure enough at the moment. But security measures could be put in place The Halifax bank on the opposite corner, seems to manage, in what is a smaller building.

I would like a M&S local down Hillsborough myself, just don't think it will ever happen (I don't count the Law Bros Garage as Hillsborough).

The main shoppers down Hillsborough are pensioners, who usually like to be up and about early and get their shopping done, or people from the areas near to Hillsborough, Parson Cross, Wadsley, Langsett Estate etc.

Younger people who live in Hillsborough don't tend to shop as much in Hillsborough, though most of them are at work during the day time, so may shop on their lunch break or after work in town (which also closes around 5pm) Unfortunately their aren't enough local, younger residents who may choose to shop after work, to justify local shops extending or changing their hours.

It is supply and demand, to open longer or later hours isn't economically viable, when the vast majority want/like to shop during the morning/early afternoon. In areas with a large student population (Ecclesall Rd and Broomhill for example), later hours for shops are commonplace - the footflow and demand is there.

Something like and M&S (that stays open after 5pm) would be a lot more likely to make me get off the tram home a stop early. Another charity shop won't. I say the "under offer" sign on the Blockbusters unit the other night and wondered what it was going to be. Almost got my hopes up it was going to be something interesting. Shame.

Costa always looks busy, by the way.

Ahhh, Blockbusters! How I remember fondly the days of rummaging through the veritable smorgasboard of sci-fi classics! However, only a Granddad would go there now, LOL. The demise of Blockbusters is a symptom of a healthy marketplace, and the forces of good should just be left to do what they will with Blockbusters. I personally prefer Play.com. My tastes have certainly matured over the last couple of years, anyway.

Unfortunately the internet is having a massive effect on retailers , all the main supermarkets have online ordering , either for collection or delivery , its the same with fashion and clothes generally .

In particular the entertainment providers or getting hit hard , films , music and books can all be downloaded easily and often cheaper than visting a shop .

Work has started on the old Blockbuster, any idea what it's going to be?

British Heart Foundation....

Another charity shop, Hillsborough turning into Rotherham town centre.

It would not be too bad if things were sold at charity shop price's.

British Heart Foundation....

Another charity shop, Hillsborough turning into Rotherham town centre.

How is a Charity shop worse than a Blockbuster???