The Great Flood of Malin Bridge 1862

Theres a marker on the wall of the malin bridge pub showing the height of the water level .

my grandmother gave me a book about the great flood of Sheffield many years ago, ive still got it even though its been battered by grandkids. in the back it tells you the names of the dead, where they lived and where they was found. I will dig it out if anyone wants any info pm me and I will look it up for them

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 11:56 ----------

Mt gt grandad John King was killed on 12 March 1864 in the Great Sheffield Flood whilst working a night shift at a mill just below the Dale Dyke Dam . Read all about it here http://www.mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/flood.html

hi john, in the book ive got it says ; john king aged 25 from Loxley lost 12 march found at Loxley and interned at Bradfield

;

That's the great thing about this Forum. You learn things. I lived in Sheffield from 1947 to 1972 and never once did I hear any mention of a great flood. I worked in Hillsborough and caught the number 2 outer circular from Malin Bridge but never heard any of the locals mention the flood.

]

Fascinating site.

Love the claim from one of my ancestors - for 3 pigeons. No amount mentioned, so presumably he got nothing, and quite right too. There were many far more deserving claims.

Would that be a Revill?

Would that be a Revill?

Yes, that's him.

3 pigeons indeed! I wouldn't have had the cheek, knowing that people had lost their lives, homes, livelihoods.

(Unless they were super champion homing pigeons worth a few bob - even then ...)

Yes, that's him.

3 pigeons indeed! I wouldn't have had the cheek, knowing that people had lost their lives, homes, livelihoods.

(Unless they were super champion homing pigeons worth a few bob - even then ...)

Bad lot the Revills, I have lost count of the number of times my grt grandfather Albert Samuel spent in prison along with my grt grand mother lol

We were taught all about the flood in the last year of junior school (going back a few years), they took us to the Dale Dyke Dam to see where it all started. Learned some very interesting stuff but it's a shame that a lot of Sheffielders don't know anything about it.

This Wednesday(16th) between 2 and 4pm Activity Sheffield are having a' Flood Walk' walking the Great Sheffield Flood of 1864.

Ron Clayton is leading it and anyone interested is to meet at the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road.

It finishes at Millsands near Castle Square.

These walks are at a leisurely pace and enjoyable.