How much board should I take off my kids?

My teenage children are in the very fortunate position of having just started full time jobs - a 16-year-old on an apprenticeship earning just over £500 a month, and an 18-year-old with net pay of just under £1000. Their first paydays are today.

However, until now I have been able to get child tax credits and child benefit because of them being in full time education. This has obviously stopped and I will need to take board off them.

I remember when I lived with my parents I usually paid around a third of my wages to my mum, but talking to other people this seemed a bit steep!!

What do others do? I was thinking around 20 percent of their pay after taking off things like travel costs. Do you think this is fair?

Advice please...

Depends what your providing? If your charging them they're not kids they're customers..

My teenage children are in the very fortunate position of having just started full time jobs - a 16-year-old on an apprenticeship earning just over £500 a month, and an 18-year-old with net pay of just under £1000. Their first paydays are today.

However, until now I have been able to get child tax credits and child benefit because of them being in full time education. This has obviously stopped and I will need to take board off them.

I remember when I lived with my parents I usually paid around a third of my wages to my mum, but talking to other people this seemed a bit steep!!

What do others do? I was thinking around 20 percent of their pay after taking off things like travel costs. Do you think this is fair?

Advice please...

The kids didnt ask to be born. You're the parent so provide for them. If they work and earn then thats great, make them start saving for a place of their own but to take board off them just because the CTC and CB seems wrong imo.

My mother snaffled a half of my pay off me for full board. When I finally left home after a few years I got a fairly large wodge of it back as a deposit booster for my first house - she'd saved what wasn't needed to cover food, heat etc and stuck it in the bank for me.

I'd personally sit down and deduct what they need for transport to work, clothing and tooling if needed and then snaffle half of what's left and do the same... Other people I knew said that their parents just took a third and they seemed quite happy with that as well so I don;t think you are going too high.

I'm providing them with what I've provided them with all their lives!! Bed, board, food, packed lunches, laundry etc. The only thing I won't be providing them with now is new clothes & shoes - they will buy their own.

Im a single parent and my 16 yo has just started an apprenticeship. I sat down and worked out how much worse off I was going to be with the drop in maintenance, child benefit and tax credits. We decided hed give me 20% of his wage (after NI and his pension payment) plus an extra £15 a week as for the time being Im still paying his direct debits (phone, gym and cinema card)

Everyones situations different tho, you need to work out whats suitable for all of you.

Well done to both your kids by the way :)

Edited by nikki-red

A third of their wage is fair.

For this I guess they will get their meals bought and cooked, their washing and ironing done for them and they will be kept warm and clean.

Work out how much of their wage would be spent on rent, food and bills if they moved out - a third of their wage for board is very reasonable.

It's a hard world out there and the sooner they realise how much things cost the better really.

Regards.

Edited by Daven

When I lived with my parents, I gave my mum £30 a week. This was only two years ago.

My brother still lives with my parents, he earns about £240 a week and pays my mum £40.

this is a good idea,

"My mother snaffled a half of my pay off me for full board. When I finally left home after a few years I got a fairly large wodge of it back as a deposit booster for my first house - she'd saved what wasn't needed to cover food, heat etc and stuck it in the bank for me."

you could even offer it up in advance. If they save x amount of their wages each month then you'll...

I'm glad this is being discussed.

Far too many kids expect to live for free.

Once they're earning they have to learn that their money has to provide for different things and is not just for blowing on a Saturday night or in Topshop.

Budgeting is an important part of their education. Parents are doing them no favours by letting them off.

The kids didnt ask to be born. You're the parent so provide for them. If they work and earn then thats great, make them start saving for a place of their own but to take board off them just because the CTC and CB seems wrong imo.

Are you joking? I am hoping you are otherwise do you expect your parents to pay for you until one or the other dies? Part of being a parent means teaching them about economics and contributing etc and they are not kids they are adults with jobs!