Term time school holidays

35 minutes ago, willman said:

The poor can't afford holidays.

If you can waste hundreds of quid on an holiday abroad then budget an extra £60 for taking the kids out of school or comply with the law.

I am sure they do that, but if you earn £35,000+; £60 is meaningless.

11 hours ago, willman said:

The poor can't afford holidays.

If you can waste hundreds of quid on an holiday abroad then budget an extra £60 for taking the kids out of school or comply with the law.

We've had great holidays for next to nothing. Bus from Sheffield to Castleton and camp or Youth Hostel in Edale. Costs 10s of pounds and have been fantastic.

Even still I wouldn't call spending hundreds on a holiday a waste 

20 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am sure they do that, but if you earn £35,000+; £60 is meaningless.

I don't think that's true at all.

£35k for a household is well down amongst the poorer end of things, and with a family, a mortgage, a car and so on, it could easily be the case that saving for a summer holiday for 4 is a stretch and the extra £60 is quite difficult.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I don't think that's true at all.

£35k for a household is well down amongst the poorer end of things, and with a family, a mortgage, a car and so on, it could easily be the case that saving for a summer holiday for 4 is a stretch and the extra £60 is quite difficult.

Cuckoo land.

Based on the Office for National Statistics's (ONS's) Living Costs and Food Survey, the UK median disposable household income was £27,300 in the financial year ending (FYE) 2017, up 2.3% on the previous year (after accounting for inflation and household composition).

Disposable income is the amount of money that households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes (such as Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax) have been accounted for. It includes earnings from employment, private pensions and investments as well as cash benefits provided by the state.

So, the median average AFTER tax is £27,300.  Across all households.

Average household size is however 2.4 people in the UK.

So you've chosen a household larger than the average, a pre tax income of 35k, which if it's a single earner means an annual takehome of £27,100.

Not poor, but average income with a larger than average number of people.

I'd be surprised if such a family doesn't need to watch those £60's...  Thinking about that, it's 2 children, so that's £120, and it's two parents, so they can both be fined, so it's potentially £240 fine that they need to budget for.

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Based on the Office for National Statistics's (ONS's) Living Costs and Food Survey, the UK median disposable household income was £27,300 in the financial year ending (FYE) 2017, up 2.3% on the previous year (after accounting for inflation and household composition).

Disposable income is the amount of money that households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes (such as Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax) have been accounted for. It includes earnings from employment, private pensions and investments as well as cash benefits provided by the state.

So you've chosen a household larger than the average, a pre tax income of 35k, which if it's a single earner means an annual takehome of £27,100.

I'd be surprised if such a family doesn't need to watch those £60's...  Thinking about that, it's 2 children, so that's £120, and it's two parents, so they can both be fined, so it's potentially £240 fine that they need to budget for.

Thats amazing just take a look at the old age pension ,perhaps the Government have got the figures wrong.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Its good that the ONS has helped you understand what a wage is if you're poor or well off.

What you're still missing, is why people take the £60 hit. Holidays are cheaper in term time, so they take the cheap holiday, and even with the £60 added, it makes it affordable.

Lots of alien concepts, I know.

23 minutes ago, woodview said:

Its good that the ONS has helped you understand what a wage is if you're poor or well off.

What you're still missing, is why people take the £60 hit. Holidays are cheaper in term time, so they take the cheap holiday, and even with the £60 added, it makes it affordable.

Lots of alien concepts, I know.

So why don't they stop bitching and just pay up ? 

There are people earning less than the median who can't take holidays out of term time.