Term time school holidays

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Perhaps it is more important that children attend school in term time to help in catching up on the schooling that they missed.

You cannot change what happened over the last 2+ years but you can address the issues arising.

Peak holiday costs have always been an issue but I can see why sanctions should apply to parents who take their kids out of school.

Not for one poxy week. But they cannot have it both ways anyway, either it is exceptionally important that a child is at school for every single week (so important they are going to fine the parents for it), or it isn't.

And if it is the former then how come they kept them off school for THIRTY weeks.

We were just discussing this farce at work and, rather amusingly, one of my work colleagues said "if they fine anyone tell them to take it out of the tax rebate they should have got when they were paying for their kids to be educated and they weren't being".... That's the best kind of humour, it has more than a ring of truth !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

He's so far down the rabbit hole he can't stop.

I can assure you it isn't just me. In fact I'll bet you there are millions of parents who think this is stinking hypocrisy of the highest order.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

We all know that the government were quite happy for school kids to miss about 7 months of school during the pandemic (despite the fact kids were never at any significant risk from Covid......)

Kids didn't "miss 7 months of school".

School buildings may have been closed, but teaching continued remotely.

And kids may not have directly been at risk from covid, they were certainly strong contenders at passing it on.

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Not for one poxy week. But they cannot have it both ways anyway, either it is exceptionally important that a child is at school for every single week (so important they are going to fine the parents for it), or it isn't.

And if it is the former then how come they kept them off school for THIRTY weeks.

We were just discussing this farce at work and, rather amusingly, one of my work colleagues said "if they fine anyone tell them to take it out of the tax rebate they should have got when they were paying for their kids to be educated and they weren't being".... That's the best kind of humour, it has more than a ring of truth !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can assure you it isn't just me. In fact I'll bet you there are millions of parents who think this is stinking hypocrisy of the highest order.

All you talk about is Covid.  Others are trying to move on from it but you can't seem to.

18 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Hold on, are you saying they didn't shut the schools for 30 weeks ?

Where were you between March 2020 and March 2021 ?

Just to cover all bases, if you don't believe the fact that the schools were shut for about 7 months, read this....... :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_on_education_in_the_United_Kingdom

Or are you saying you don't believe kids were at pretty much no risk from Covid ? Well we knew that in March 2020 :

BBC-News-Imperial-college-SAGE-Covid-dea

Oh no, the government certainly closed the schools, for 30 weeks <or however long>.

That *is* a fact.

Likewise the well-documented deaths and still-better-documented Long Covid after-effects of infected children, all statistically-irrelevant as your “death rates” graph may hold those to be (PS: I’m not going to engage you afresh on Covid, so don’t bother).

I’m asking you for the source of that quote,  *all of which* you claimed to be ‘facts’:

"We did shut the schools for 30 weeks because we don't think education is important enough to keep them open (despite the fact kids were at no risk from Covid), but now we are going to fine you if you take your child out for one week."

19 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You know exactly why they were kept out of school 

21 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Kids didn't "miss 7 months of school".

School buildings may have been closed, but teaching continued remotely.

And kids may not have directly been at risk from covid, they were certainly strong contenders at passing it on.

1 - Kids did miss 7 months of schooling

2 - Kids at our school had no remote learning at all for the first lockdown, and not much for the second, it was about 1 hour a day and the parents had to do all the rest. But are you saying remote learning mainly by the parents is all they need ? If so parents can do that on holiday.....

3 - Kids were very poor spreaders of the first variant of Covid, in fact the Swiss didn't think they spread it at all. They were wrong, but the fact they thought that emphasises how unlikely they were to spread the infection :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

BUT, adults are supposed to protect kids not the other way around.

20 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

All you talk about is Covid.  Others are trying to move on from it but you can't seem to.

I'm saying that bearing in mind they shut the schools for 30 weeks parents should not be fined for taking their kids out of school for one poxy week. The latter is happening, now.

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

You know exactly why they were kept out of school 

No I do not actually, I never agreed with it and I am willing to bet large amounts of money it will be seen to have been a big mistake. The point is kids education was seen as expendable then, but now, losing even one week is extremely serious, so much so the parents must be fined. Even worse it's per child and per parent : thus discriminating against families with more than one child and also families with two parents.

It's disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Edited by Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

1 - Kids did miss 7 months of schooling

2 - Kids at our school had no remote learning at all for the first lockdown, and not much for the second, it was about 1 hour a day and the parents had to do all the rest. But are you saying remote learning mainly by the parents is all they need ? If so parents can do that on holiday.....

3 - Kids were very poor spreaders of the first variant of Covid, in fact the Swiss didn't think they spread it at all. They were wrong, but the fact they thought that emphasises how unlikely they were to spread the infection :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

BUT, adults are supposed to protect kids not the other way around.

I'm saying that bearing in mind they shut the schools for 30 weeks parents should not be fined for taking their kids out of school for one poxy week. The latter is happening, now.

Can I just ask: why don’t you homeschool or private tuition your kids?

Then your problem is solved, you can go on holiday whenever, no fines whatsoever.

Edited by L00b

23 minutes ago, L00b said:

Oh no, the government certainly closed the schools, for 30 weeks <or however long>.
That *is* a fact.

Likewise the well-documented deaths and still-better-documented Long Covid after-effects of infected children, all statistically-irrelevant as your “death rates” graph may hold those to be (PS: I’m not going to engage you afresh on Covid, so don’t bother).

I’m asking you for the source of that quote,  *all of which* you claimed to be ‘facts’:

"We did shut the schools for 30 weeks because we don't think education is important enough to keep them open (despite the fact kids were at no risk from Covid), but now we are going to fine you if you take your child out for one week."

It was **** taking, but it was all true, as you have admitted.

And Long Covid was exaggerated, but I will answer that on the Covid thread.

6 minutes ago, L00b said:

Can I just ask: why don’t you homeschool or private tuition your kids?

Then your problem is solved, you can go on holiday whenever, no fines whatsoever.

This is not just about me, and in any case that is to avoid the point entirely. As it happens, I pay my taxes for my child to be educated, except he wasn't for 7 months.

Actually, to clarify, our lad got into school 1 day a week in the first lockdown and 2 days  a week in the second. So it could be said we were lucky to only miss the equivalent of around 5 months education, because most kids missed the full 7 months.

Edited by Chekhov

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And Long Covid was exaggerated, but I will answer that on the Covid thread.

This is not just about me, and in any case that is to avoid the point entirely. As it happens, I pay my taxes for my child to be educated, except he wasn't for 7 months.

Actually, to clarify, our lad got into school 1 day a week in the first lockdown and 2 days  a week in the second. So it could be said we were lucky to only miss the equivalent of around 5 months education, because most kids missed the full 7 months.

It is though , it’s all about you and your righteousness 

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

And Long Covid was exaggerated, but I will answer that on the Covid thread

I haven’t “admitted that it was all true”, so hold your horses some.

Thank you for admitting that wasn’t “facts”, gracious of you. I’m loathe to go all-pedant on posters about this, but in this day and age, facts are a very important and precious commodity, every passing day more so as vested interests, politicians, influence peddlers and other professional gaslighters continue to twist, misrepresent and distort ‘facts’ to confuse people and render them more malleable to propaganda.

So, now, back to my suggestion. Homeschooling or private tuition, as a means to escape the corset of state schooling attendance rules…yeah? I mean, it’s what every conscientious liberal would do, right?

Edited by L00b