Term time school holidays

just tell them you are educating your son especially at that age, i never had a problem taking my kids out for up to 2 weeks, when questioned i gave a list of the educational things we did and learning life skills. never heard a thing back.

Did that list of "educational things" include spelling, grammar and punctuation?

Did it involve responsibility, respect, honesty, punctuality, attendance and reliability?

Or was it that important life skill of "getting  away with it" and dumping problems and work on others?

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Did that list of "educational things" include spelling, grammar and punctuation?

Did it involve responsibility, respect, honesty, punctuality, attendance and reliability?

Or was it that important life skill of "getting  away with it" and dumping problems and work on others?

Ha Ha ex teacher by any chance? my kids learnt all that and much more and both are very successful now in the big wide world after not being molly coddled. they most certainly didn't get away with anything!

The important thing to do when you are fined is to run to the papers so that the world can mock you, especially if you use the phrase "exposed to foreign culture" for a trip to Spain or Disneyland.

It depends massively on your circumstances IMO. If you can afford to go in school holidays, you should. If you can't or there is some other REAL justification, then go for it.

Kids do miss out on education by taking them out, and you can miss that snippet of learning that was critical. If they are doing as good as they can, and have good attendance , then maybe OK.

People also need to remember the benefits of Parent-Child quality time together, which is missing in lots of circumstances. Also a holiday can have lots of educational and developmental benefits too.

Years back, we asked for a Friday off to start a drive to France and the headteacher refused (Primary) on 'educational' grounds. They spent the day all shoved in the hall watching 5 year old DVDs. We didn't ask again.

Both choosing STEM subjects at good Uni's now.

It is down to the head teachers discretion whether you are referred for a fine, the current policy in Sheffield is that you can be referred for a fine for 5 or more consecutive days of absence.    Different Local Authorities interpret the guidance in different ways, some will go straight to court and bypass the fine altogether.  See section 8 of this document:-

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/schools-and-childcare/attendance/Exception Leave in Term Time Policy - revised October 18.pdf

Edited by mrsb73

3 hours ago, neworderishere said:

just tell them you are educating your son especially at that age, i never had a problem taking my kids out for up to 2 weeks, when questioned i gave a list of the educational things we did and learning life skills. never heard a thing back.

Because they've probably given up on your child. If you're not bothered why should they be?

3 hours ago, K1Machine said:

Go on holiday when the school breaks up. Simple.

Not that simple I'm afraid. Lots of reasons.

2 hours ago, Hots on said:

Because they've probably given up on your child. If you're not bothered why should they be?

wow! now there is a bitter message! actually no they didn't need to give up on them they did very well thanks in fact better than most but they didn't need restricting to when their parents who were/are self employed could take time off for holidays.

just for info my kids were lucky enough to see a great deal of the world and its cultures.

Edited by neworderishere

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Does the same still apply when a school takes children away for a week skiiing as my child comprehensive does (or any other activity which involves time away from school) or when it takes them to a theme park as a "reward" for doing what they are supposed to do i.e turn up to school nearly every day during the year

3 hours ago, mrsb73 said:

It is down to the head teachers discretion whether you are referred for a fine, the current policy in Sheffield is that you can be referred for a fine for 5 or more consecutive days of absence.    Different Local Authorities interpret the guidance in different ways, some will go straight to court and bypass the fine altogether.  See section 8 of this document:-

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/schools-and-childcare/attendance/Exception Leave in Term Time Policy - revised October 18.pdf

How can you go straight to court?  Court is only involved for non payment of the fine, so if they didn't attempt to levy a fine then...  no court.

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

It's not like the last week of school for a 6 year old before the summer holiday is all about spelling, punctuation and grammar is it.

And the reference to responsibility, respect, honesty and so on, is a problem that the government have created themselves by taking away a freedom that parents and families previously had.  Where was the respect for parents when they did that?

I struggle to see the justification for the draconian change to the rules that used to allow more discretion from schools and parents.