It's no wonder the youth of today are struggling..

A Post on another Forum: “Back to teaching today, can’t say I’m infused.”

A teacher on the wireless (talking about GCSE Maths): “Trigonometry is cosines and tangents and stuff, it’s theoretical maths. Nobody uses it at work. Well maybe a bit in the construction industry, but that’s it.”

Edited by frededwards

Hello Fred.

One reason for that type of maths, and also algebra type maths is to exercise the brain. The other reason is to measure the brain’s ability. Not dissimilar to why universities have certain requirements in respect of exam grades to be accepted.

I can remember in class having to be able to not only recite the times tables but then having to stand up whilst other pupils fired of random questions which I had to be able to answer such as 11 x12 and many others.

When I started work and had the work experience lads coming in for a taster of what work was like I soon noticed that maths was a real problem with a few boys looking around for a calculator when given a simple maths problem and when given pen and paper they still struggled. I know they might of been academically challenged but did get a bit worried when they couldn't work out what 5x8 was. I always hated algebra as I couldn't see any point in it and log tables were equally to me unimportant.

My post was more to highlight the standard on the teachers education than that of the kids.

The really interesting question is------why or how have educational standards fallen so far in the last 40 years or so ? Also, to widen the question-----why have a lot of other standards fallen too ?

Is it merely that special, mysterious ' X ' factor that pushes countries and empires up to a higher level ? Or, conversely drags them down ?

I bet people thought the Roman Empire would last for ever. Our country once seemed to have every advantage-----a literate population, compact, temperate climate, minerals on and off-shore and, generally international respect. Now we definitely seem to be on the slide ! Education is just part of the decline. Watched t.v. recently ?

Oh, well, it was nice whilst it lasted, I suppose ?

There seems to be this pretty widespread myth that all youngsters used to be much better at maths - they weren't, there were plenty of people who could and plenty of people who couldn't, just like today.

I think people were perhaps better at basic maths- arithmatic and so on. My Dad got caned for not knowing his tables, quite an incentive to learn them.

Maybe too much time is spent on the many different types of maths these days, rather than the stuff which is going to be most useful. Mind you I was one of the first to do statistics in my school, and it has been the most useful tool in political bullsh** detecting ever since.

Edited by Anna B

I think people were certainly better at mental arithmetic in the past. And more to the point, you didn't have pupils leaving school with a GCSE (or O-Level) pass at A-C who can't do simple sums in their head.

there were plenty of people who could and plenty of people who couldn't, just like today.

High-flyers fail 11-plus

Pupils expected to score high grades in their GCSEs this year failed an 11-plus exam from the 1950s.

The test, set as part of a television series experiment, adds fuel to traditionalists' argument that standards in schools are slipping.

Thirty 16 year olds have been transported back in time to a 1950s-style state boarding school for the Channel 4 programme called That'll Teach 'Em.

During their first week at the fictional school, the teenagers, who have just sat their GCSEs, were given an arithmetic test.

That'll Teach 'Em maths teacher Austin Vince

Only 43% passed what in fact was an 11-plus paper from 1957; but 75% of the candidates are predicted to get A or B grades in their maths GCSE.

Just one teenager scored 100% in the 11-plus paper and of the 17 who failed (scoring below 50%), three were grammar school pupils.

Maths teacher at the That'll Teach 'Em school, Austin Vince, said pupils should have done better.

"Even though there was a difference in question style between an old-fashioned 11-plus and today's GCSEs, surely 16 year olds should be doing better at an exam targeted at 11 year olds," said Mr Vince.

LINK [bBC News]

"...surely 16 year olds should be doing better at an exam targeted at 11 year olds".

You would think so, wouldn't you? But you're probably right, it's just a myth that standards have fallen. No need to worry, I'm sure the government has it all under control.

Teaching to the test is the problem. Kids today are taught how to pass exams, and not given a broader base of knowledge on the subject. It's more important to know why than it is to now how, because once you know why, you can apply that knowledge to a myriad of situations.

I think people were certainly better at mental arithmetic in the past. And more to the point, you didn't have pupils leaving school with a GCSE (or O-Level) pass at A-C who can't do simple sums in their head.

I was rubbish at maths, but I got a decent 'O' level in arithmetic. That was possible in Scotland when I was at school. I went on to learn bookkeeping, and have worked with figures (accounts; stats; budgets) for much of my working life. I love figurework, but couldn't fathom algebra and geometry. Neither have I found any need for them, although being able to do calculations in my head and on paper is useful all the time! Its made me almost weep when a young colleague consulted a calculator to work out 10%. :roll:

I think in some schools, primaries at least, we are going back to basics. My 6 year old granddaughter has spelling tests :thumbsup: and I'm really pleased. Although I don't think pupils nowadays are any brighter or more stupid than previous generations, I believe different teaching methods suit some more than others. I also think parents have a major part to play in supporting their children, understanding and encouraging their aspirations, and trying to be good role models. Some kids get none of that, so its understandable that they are set to fail.

Are you suggesting she was infused?

A teacher on the wireless (talking about GCSE Maths): “Trigonometry is cosines and tangents and stuff, it’s theoretical maths. Nobody uses it at work. Well maybe a bit in the construction industry, but that’s it.”

It's a "radio" fred. A "radio". .. Or iplayer.

Anyway, anybody can make a typo. Imagine getting your feet mixed up.