Ebuyer.com are they reliable?

skyfitsboy

hi there, yesterday I placed an order for a new digital camera from Ebuyer.com and today I have received an email from them which has concerned me abit.

The email basically said that my order has been cancelled until I fax them proof of my identity, I purchased loads of items online before with my credit card and never been asked for such documents which worrys me a little.

Here's what the email from Ebuyer said:

This order has been cancelled pending the receipt of further information.

To reactivate your order please fax copies of the following documents to 0870 467 5001:

1. Passport/Driving Licence

*AND*

2. A Utility Bill Gas, Electric or Council Tax

If you have any difficulty faxing these documents please contact our customer services team via enote or by telephone on 0845 146 1720.

Once received and verified, the order will be reactivated.

Regards,

Ebuyer Customer Services

http://www.ebuyer.com

I just don't know what to do now, as my housemate works in a bank and told me that these two pieces of security information could be used to set up a bank account in my name:o

Ebuyer aint known for being a clever bunch .... I've bought stuff from them but nothing of any real value. Company bought a laptop & it came without keyboard , returned it (eventually) & they sent another out with keyboard missing. Not too helpful when probs arise either.

I can't remember if ebuyer has a phoneline, but if it does then you're best ringing them and talking to them direct. It's unusual that they'd want ID.

If you're not sure, then don't proceed. It does sound a bit odd as I've ordered hundreds of pounds worth of equipment from them and it's always arrived when it should do without any further hassle.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk is a good place for digital cameras, and you shouldn't get asked for ID!!

Ebuyer have a phone line yes..

I have been buying from them since July 2002, and NEVER had this problem..

Maybe there was a problem with your Card/Details when you entered them, and they diddnt quite match... So they wish for you to call to verify it etc... I HAVE heared of this before, just not on eBuyer....

the email looks legit to me, because it states via e-note, you can click the enotes thing in your account, and that number IS thiers... I'd just give them a call, last time i called to cancell and swap an order (last minute) they did it all over the phone, no hassle, no questions and the NEW item still arrived next day :)

Could it be that you are sending the stuff the a different address than is used with the credit/debit card. I remember they used to say that you should send your first order with a new credit card to the address at which the credit card is registered.

Under the distance selling rules they are responsible for the loss in cases of fraud so perhaps they just want to make sure that their not about to lose a bundle, having changed the rule above for fear of it putting off customers. Even so there should be something on the website to explain this.

hiya,

ive bought tons of stuff from them over last few years and never had any problems except for at the start when i lived in a student house it was hard settin up an account to buy things as one my housemates already had one at that address and they are funny about more than one account at same address. It could well be that maybe someone who lived there before you had an account with them at that address or as someone else said about card being registered elsewhere maybe.

I doubt very much that its a scam email as firstly it would be a bit co-incidental and secondly what could someone possible do with just your name and address details?!?! Also they would not provide a phone number if it were a scam - you could always just ring it? It slightly diff to the number i have for them so i dunno if they changed it or if have more than one but i have 0845 114 5000 and last used that number about 6 months ago.

Also if you log into your account you can usually see any notes etc on order progress so could always just check that.

hope this helps,

hazel xx

Archived