Should I make a complaint?

Yesterday my wing mirror was clipped by a learner driver. The obstruction was on her side and she still carried on coming and hit my mirror. There was no damage obviously and the instructor got out and double checked, apologised and said she told her to stop. Well, they have duel controls, she could have stopped the car herself. I was a learner driver myself last year so I do understand and I hope the girl was ok, as I imagine she was a bit shaken up, I would have been. I was angry because I had my three children in the car and my son knew something had happened because he kept saying "what happened mummy?". I feel like the instructor could have prevented this.

Well ifs its a self employed driving instructor you arent going to get very far by complaining. Either way I would just leave it, no harm has been done.

What is your problem, they stopped and checked there was no damage and everyone went on their way.

Learner drivers are just that, learners. So they might have the odd bump, as long as insurance details are exchanged or no damage is done then whats the problem?

My problem is that it shouldn't have happened and it could have been prevented, especially when my children were in the car. So that's my problem thank you very much, I shouldn't have to explain to my three year old that somebody clipped the car. It was a simple question, there is no need to be so aggressive.

---------- Post added 21-06-2013 at 10:37 ----------

Excuse me, you rude imbecile?

Unfortunately as a parent you should, you will also have to explain why he must go to bed,brush his teeth and why he's been bullied at school.

None of these things can be prevented,they are experiences to enrich our lives.

As an exampl my wife wanted to report a motorist to the police 2 nights ago because he accelerated his car in an effort to stop me overtaking. I merely slowed down and pulled on behind him.

His behaviour wasn't acceptable but on the scale of things it wasn't worth concerning myself with.

Edited by willman

This is one of the most ridiculous threads on here for a while. Complain about what? They stopped to check damage, and I am sure the instructor would have given insurance details if needed. Accidents happen to many drivers, and new and learner drivers are more prone to make mistakes and poor calls in judgement.

Out of interest what would your complaint be?

Why is it presumed, I want to make a whiplash claim? How could I say I had whiplash, simple physics would tell you that would be silly :loopy:

I think people need to grow up and not be so confrontational.

Yesterday my wing mirror was clipped by a learner driver. The obstruction was on her side and she still carried on coming and hit my mirror. There was no damage obviously and the instructor got out and double checked, apologised and said she told her to stop. Well, they have duel controls, she could have stopped the car herself. I was a learner driver myself last year so I do understand and I hope the girl was ok, as I imagine she was a bit shaken up, I would have been. I was angry because I had my three children in the car and my son knew something had happened because he kept saying "what happened mummy?". I feel like the instructor could have prevented this.

Early intervention essential.Who knows how this child's future will be blighted by this dreadful event ? Mummy's wing mirror not broken, oh no !:hihi:

Why is it presumed, I want to make a whiplash claim? How could I say I had whiplash, simple physics would tell you that would be silly :loopy:

I think people need to grow up and not be so confrontational.

I think you just suffered a "whoosh moment":roll:

I think people should grow up and.........well, just grow up.

My point is that it could have been prevented, of course learner drivers make mistakes. I certainly did, but I never hit another car and my instructor was alert and competent enough to take the necessary action if it seemed like this was going to happen.

how could it have been prevented Butterball. the dual controls cover brakes and clutch not steering.

also. who would you complain to? you have already spoken to the instructor

My point is that it could have been prevented, of course learner drivers make mistakes. I certainly did, but I never hit another car and my instructor was alert and competent enough to take the necessary action if it seemed like this was going to happen.

There was no damage AND you got an apology.What more do you want ?

You could contact the Star.They would be very pleased to photograph you and your damaged child looking sad in front of your non damaged car.:hihi:

I don't want to seem judgemental about this but if you saw the learner coming towards you, could you not have moved to the left slightly there by making enough room? I'm not saying the learner was in the right passing the obstruction when you were already there, but you must remember they are a learner driver so by definition they will and do make mistakes. You on the other hand are a qualified full licence holding driver, as such it is your duty as a qualified driver to scan your surroundings and the road ahead for possible hazards. Maybe you could contact the driving school asking for a formal written apology, I doubt you'll get one though seeing as you spoke to instructor at the scene

Edited by kanda8