I can think of one or two residential roads in the early 80's still being exposed cobblestones and they still seemed to be in fairly decent nick unlike some of the tarmaced roads in the area. So in a sense I'm quite glad they'll be leaving the cobblestones in place as they're probably as good if not better than modern road building practices

not sure if they're still there, but last time i went through shalesmoor, there were still cobbles down on some smaller streets. and having driven over them i can say that they were smoother than quite a few roads i could mention.

like hartley brook road, possibly the worst road surface in shiregreen, but the only one not resurfaced.

edit: i should clarify that sentence - hartley brook road had possibly the worst road surface in shiregreen, even before resurfacing work started across the whole estate.

Edited by deaf andy

We had the letter from Amey yesterday saying they would be starting our road on Thursday. (Bowden Wood)

From reading this thread, I'm not holding my breath that they will turn up!

Are they just doing the road surfacing, or is everyone getting the new street lights too?

I had a look on that council PDF with the schedules on. We weren't due until 2017!

We had the letter from Amey yesterday saying they would be starting our road on Thursday. (Bowden Wood)

From reading this thread, I'm not holding my breath that they will turn up!

Are they just doing the road surfacing, or is everyone getting the new street lights too?

I had a look on that council PDF with the schedules on. We weren't due until 2017!

Our road was starts the other week and since then has been left (although my car WILL get towed if i keep it parked on there while no work is done). But no new LED street lights have been installed yet, that might be the following the finished roads in December, maybe.

I don't know Shiregreen very well at all but on the Amey map it looks as though hartley brook is earmarked for 2016/17 Seems slightly odd to me unless they're aware of some major utility work needed to be done in that area. however i suppose some-one has to live in the last area to be done . I've got a friend at Richmond who has noticed work going on around their estate but the dates for their road and neighbouring roads is again 2016, they're not thrilled.

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 12:55 ----------

Only when all the cars are out of the way can they do a detailed visual inspection and then if when they are scraping the road surface off a problem is discovered such as collapsing drains, collapsing manhole covers to name but two then that can slow things down a bit.

I still can't wait for them to get to my road and I'm not bothered if the work dates aren't adhered to exactly but i will only start muttering if the finished work has obvious issues although I think I've got a list of every possible issue and so can keep a check on things.

I went to the trouble of attending two of my local roadshows which is how I discovered how things are done such as the visual inspection.

Im sure your right wallbuilder, i will reserve judgement until the road is finished. Gremlin Mick, they started ours on time, and im just across the other side of Prince of Wales road to you mate.

ecclesfield road from shiregreen to wincobank looks nice, but you can still feel the roughness of the old surface under the new, flat tarmac. i'm wondering if it will feel like value for money in two summers from now.

Just had a rather interesting chat with an Amey officer and a council officer. So the council do an audit of a zone this could of been twelve months before Amey start work. Amey agree to do the work but on the whole will replace like for like. The council has the chance to ask Amey to do other work not on the audit but have to fund it from council coffers and that money is limited. I've asked to see the audit for my area just to see what was picked up and if anything was missed more importantly. Amey wont do extra work without being told about it and in some cases paid so it's up to the council to of made sure the audits are as detailed as possible. The council then have to go round after the work has been completed and check to see if the audit rrecommendations have been followed and it doesn't look as though they've done that yet or at least not in Carbrook that was one of the first area's to be worked on. I know this as there are council offices in the Carbrook area with officers who deal with some highways issues so they know the audit check hasn't been done.

Im sure your right wallbuilder, i will reserve judgement until the road is finished. Gremlin Mick, they started ours on time, and im just across the other side of Prince of Wales road to you mate.

Well, I certainly hope so.

I've just had another look at the letter. It's dated August 22nd, but got delivered yesterday.

Not a great start for Amey on our road!

Well, I certainly hope so.

I've just had another look at the letter. It's dated August 22nd, but got delivered yesterday.

Not a great start for Amey on our road!

First it's four years early and you seemed content, now it's a week late in being complete and you're complaining :loopy:

As for the comments from others about planning off the edges and leaving the centre, this is normal over the world. They put more material on top and you get more strength out of the road.

As for those complaining about "only taking off 3 inch", how much do you want them to take off? Maybe there isn't anything wrong with the base and it's only the top thats got a problem. How many potholes do you find that are more than 3inch?

Amey has been in business doing this type of work for how many years?? Yet people on here think they are more qualified to judge than the professionals employed to do it on a daily basis.

By all means complain about poor workmanship or problems they cause, but don't preempt failure. They've been here a year and can you really say it's worse than SCC? would so much work have been done if Amey hadn't been here?

:Rant off:

It is the recycled material base- it is not the finished surface course. That will be applied later.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 21:11 ----------

It is Amey Hallam and Amey LG. PFIs are a complicated beast but it is definately not in Amey's interest for it to go belly up!! The contract is a good deal for SCC, possibly too good?!

If they ever did release the contract then I'm not sure many people would have the time or technical knowledge to understand it!

No, it's the finished top layer that is level with the kerbstones and other finished Tarmac around it.

They've only just started finishing off the paths in this way, all the work so far has been a smooth finish, but suddenly it has changed to this textured one. Quite a few sections around the manor have now been done like this.

I wondered if SCC/Amey had complaints or second thoughts about how slippery a perfectly smooth surface would be come winter.

First it's four years early and you seemed content, now it's a week late in being complete and you're complaining :loopy::

I wasn't complaining about the early start or anything like that. The LETTER informing us of the work was late.

I noticed the letter was dated 22nd of August, yet we didn't have it delivered until the 3rd of September, which is two days before the work is due to start.

I don't drive, so it doesn't worry me, but theres a lot of drivers on our road that will now have to sort out other parking arrangements and access in two days.

I'm glad that something is finally being done about the state of the roads, and can't wait till all the streetlights are changed too.