My wife nearly ended up in one of Amey's lovely holes when we went for a walk a couple of nights ago.

Walking up Markbrook Drive there were no street lights on and the barriers around one of the holes on the footpath had been moved/blown away, leaving the hole partly exposed. It was only at the last moment that my wife noticed it and avoided falling in.

Whilst roads in High Green continue to be plunged into darkness with part complete footpaths and holes here there and everywhere there's going to be an accident at some stage.....Probably involving this clumsy oaf when I'm going for a run at night. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

As long as the work gets done who cares.

Public sector worker by any chance?

The government is paying for it

Translation: The tax payer is paying for it.

Some-one from Amey rang me today about the work to be done on my road and so whilst I'd got them on the phone I mentioned this forum and the complaints about late warning of work commencement dates and the road signage not being updates. If Amey are alerted to a problem then they can try and resolve it but if no-one complains to them then how will they learn to improve things. So maybe it needs more people to start ringing 2734567

Last night was a nightmare around Firvale, they had closed loads of major roads and had diversions leading no where!!

I remember them putting in the tram lines at Hillsborough, try following the diversion signs that some of the local youth had re-arranged and there were quite a few cars at Rivelin with the drivers peering at map books, luckily I know the area

Last night was a nightmare around Firvale, they had closed loads of major roads and had diversions leading no where!!
Their traffic management is noticably lacking in several aspects. Given that there's a statutory Code of Practise for Road and Streetworks they are supposed to work to, from what I've seen so far, "amateurish" would be a fair description of their performance. Which says nothing about SCC's supervision/monitoring of their contractors performance. I've mentioned this to SCC, I await a response.

Some-one from Amey rang me today about the work to be done on my road and so whilst I'd got them on the phone I mentioned this forum and the complaints about late warning of work commencement dates and the road signage not being updates. If Amey are alerted to a problem then they can try and resolve it but if no-one complains to them then how will they learn to improve things. So maybe it needs more people to start ringing 2734567

A company which has a multi million pound contract should not need to learn and should already know how to effectively keep local residents informed, keep to a schedule and if not and re open roads which were suppose to be not parked on due to work thanks to delays.

A company which has a multi million pound contract should not need to learn and should already know how to effectively keep local residents informed, keep to a schedule and if not and re open roads which were suppose to be not parked on due to work thanks to delays.
This. In spades. With knobs, whistles and bells on. No excuses. No meaningless corporate apologies.

We had our road dug up ages ago, about 2 months ago along with the paths. Just last week they came and took down all lamp posts so now the little cul de sac is in total darkness. With roadworks around the pavement blocking where the old posts use to me it's a nightmare driving home from work at 10pm as you can't see anything at the side of the road.

Even worse as my disabled mom can't get out because of the path and rugged roads. Complete joke this lot, could have been done in a week but nope, just rather dig everything up at once.

We had our road dug up ages ago, about 2 months ago along with the paths. Just last week they came and took down all lamp posts so now the little cul de sac is in total darkness. With roadworks around the pavement blocking where the old posts use to me it's a nightmare driving home from work at 10pm as you can't see anything at the side of the road.

Even worse as my disabled mom can't get out because of the path and rugged roads. Complete joke this lot, could have been done in a week but nope, just rather dig everything up at once.

Could you tell me where they've removed street lights, and when they did it as I was told the old lights would be left in place till the new lights were in place and then it was just a case of changing the electric supply over.

I assume nobody bothered to tell them that there was some-one with mobility issues and hasn't bothered to ever contact them to alert them to this fact so how are they supposed to of known. It was one of the questions i asked at the road show for my area as i have friends in wheelchairs so considered that quite an important point to raise with Amey.

I can tell you the streel lights aren't working at the bottom of Markbrook Drive in High Green and there are some very big holes there that have been left by Amey. the holes have been surrounded by safety barriers, but as we found out the other day, these sometimes move (wind or vandalism?).

I also noticed that the holes they've dug are adjacent the boundary walls and deeper than the foundations of those boundary walls. I'm surprised they've not put any earthwork support in place, because if we have some very wet weather what is solid ground at the moment could easily give way and undermine the foundations.

Regards

Doom

I've rung Amey about Markbrook drive as it contradicts what i was told at a roadshow. They will get back to me with an update and the reasons for the delay but as I have pointed out this is unacceptable work and I expect a full answer and the issue to be resolved rapidly.