Blacks store in the High Street closed

Has the whole chain closed, or is this one of a number of stores closing?

Shame to see another city centre store closed.

I think that Blacks were purchased by Sports Direct who will be probably be closing stores that overlap.

The Sheffield city centre one isnt listed on the website anymore. Theres only the meadowhall one...

http://www.blacks.co.uk/google/store-locator

(Cant link to the actual results page, sorry)

Oh dear, the city centre has lost out to Meadowhell :(

I hate Meadowhell Sports Direct is out there too it seems.

Oh dear, the city centre has lost out to Meadowhell :(

I hate Meadowhell Sports Direct is out there too it seems.

Hate it or not Meadowhell is here to stay -it offers a much better shopping experience than the city centre.

Has the whole chain closed, or is this one of a number of stores closing?

Shame to see another city centre store closed.

heard it going to be another Sainsbury local

Sports Direct are supposed to be going into the old TJ building?

Hate it or not Meadowhell is here to stay -it offers a much better shopping experience than the city centre.

It's not for everyone though. For me it is a shopping experience I am happier avoiding.

It's not for everyone though. For me it is a shopping experience I am happier avoiding.

I'd be happy to avoid any shopping experience if I could!

Meadowhall now has the LEGO shop though.............

It closed a few weeks ago. There were a few late bargains in there. A shame.

Yes, yet again the city centres shops diminish while meadowhell reaps the benefits. They'll be nothing left on the high street soon. ... Sheffield city council ... For shame!!! :P

Yes, yet again the city centres shops diminish while meadowhell reaps the benefits. They'll be nothing left on the high street soon. ... Sheffield city council ... For shame!!! :P

Nothing to do with the Council. Business basics - shops in the city centre cost a premium compared to Meadowhall.

Blacks was a very bad business - expensive products. Only recently did they get their act together but it was too late.

Sold to Sports Direct. Sports Direct also own Field and Trek, which is similar to Blacks. I would imagine that the new outlet at TJ Hughes building will include sports and outdoor wear. Sports Direct are not going to run two shops, especially with the cost of rent of the one on the high street.

At Meadowhall it is different. Rents are not on the scale of the high street. Sports Direct can afford to rent their main unit plus keep the Blacks there going. Eventually it will get rebranded as Field and Trek.

So yes the Blacks will probably become a mini supermarket. Fantastic I say - all too often I wait for a bus there and I want a paper or a drink, now I can. Let the market move on.