Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

I can assure you that the figure is 167. There is one goal that was incorrectly credited to someone else, and it is shown in the original Sheffield Wednesday: A Complete Record 1867-1987. All others are imitations!

Are you confusing John with Jim Mcanearney? He had a machine shop in Hillfoot

hiya, john fantham was in the machine reclamation game he was a regular at laycocks when they were renewing their machines, i think he sold them to india,or china,

hiya, john fantham was in the machine reclamation game he was a regular at laycocks when they were renewing their machines, i think he sold them to india,or china,

He bought machines from Jacobs as well. I suggested that we should frame the cheque instead of paying it into the bank.

Don't know about goalscoring, but he had at least two barber shops. One on Division Street and one down the alley next to Suggs at the top of The Moor. He also had a business dealing in machine tools.

The alley referred to was Cambridge Arcade. As kids we always used to look through the window of Johnny Fathams Hairdressers shop hoping to see our hero in there.

A recently released book (The Wednesday Boys) claims that the great inside forward scored 166 goals in total.

Other records (The Wednesday Archives) suggests 167.

I have always belived the latter to be correct. Does anyone know who is right?

I was in the same class as him at Burngreave secondary School

I was in the same class as him at Burngreave secondary School

Was he 25195349? :)

I'm pretty sure I remember him as running a hardware store at the bottom of Ringstead Crescent in Crosspool. Must have been the mid 1970s I guess?

The Barber was not POLISH he was Ukrainian and he was my Uncle Steve Bajdella and he lived at 16 stanwood crescent, Sheffield 6 and was a prisoner of war having fought for the GERMANS. He met my fathers sister May Carnell whilst working on a farm and they married and had two daughters. One lives in Sheffield still my Cousin and the other was a school headmistress in Cheltenham. Steve bought the shop off Johnny many years ago. However Johnny and Steve opened another shop called The Hammer and Sickle which if I recall was at Wadsley bridge right hand group of shops as you drive down into Hillsborough. Steve Owned the actual wooden Owl that was on the gates at Ollerton when We played there.

---------- Post added 09-07-2018 at 19:06 ----------

Keith Farnsworth's tome, "A Complete Record" has it as 167.

Fantham's shop on Division Street, was run by a Polish chap called Steve.

He has for a long time been a very good golfer and plays at Hallamshire.

I remember in 1961 when he scored Wednesday's winner against Spurs 2-1.

This Spurs' side went on to win the double that season and they lost their unbeaten run at Hillsborough.

Fantham got one cap against Luxembourg in 1961. He was born 6 Feb 1939, so belated 67th John.

The Barber was not POLISH he was Ukrainian and he was my Uncle Steve Bajdella and he lived at 16 stanwood crescent, Sheffield 6 and was a prisoner of war having fought for the GERMANS. He met my fathers sister May Carnell whilst working on a farm and they married and had two daughters. One lives in Sheffield still my Cousin and the other was a school headmistress in Cheltenham. Steve bought the shop off Johnny many years ago. However Johnny and Steve opened another shop called The Hammer and Sickle which if I recall was at Wadsley bridge right hand group of shops as you drive down into Hillsborough.

---------- Post added 09-07-2018 at 19:07 ----------

The Barber was not POLISH he was Ukrainian and he was my Uncle Steve Bajdella and he lived at 16 stanwood crescent, Sheffield 6 and was a prisoner of war having fought for the GERMANS. He met my fathers sister May Carnell whilst working on a farm and they married and had two daughters. One lives in Sheffield still my Cousin and the other was a school headmistress in Cheltenham. Steve bought the shop off Johnny many years ago. However Johnny and Steve opened another shop called The Hammer and Sickle which if I recall was at Wadsley bridge right hand group of shops as you drive down into Hillsborough.

I know this is off-subject but can you answer a question for me. Steve cut my hair many times at Johnny Fantham’s but am I right in thinking he was also at Tom’s barbers on Charles Street.

Thanks

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

I know this is off-subject but can you answer a question for me. Steve cut my hair many times at Johnny Fantham’s but am I right in thinking he was also at Tom’s barbers on Charles Street.

Thanks

He did work at Toms in the 1950's on Charles Street....yes 100% spot on

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Thanks, I’m not going bonkers then.