Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

This is not spot-on but his name was something like Bajalda? No 'czw' so I accept your account of his being Ukrainian. Thanks for your imput, John is still around, let's hope Steve is.

I used to have my hair cut there in the 70's remember going once and the place was full but the other barber (who was new) was stood by his chair as they were all waiting for Steve....... funny guy

Whether it was youth or what, I travelled all over the country to see them. I don't think I'm unique but this will be rare, having seen both Sheffield clubs win at Highbury. The reason? Well Wednesday last won there in 1962 (Bronco Layne scored both goals at the Clock End in a 2-1 win. That's 44 years ago, so many are eliminated. Then, in 1971, coming back from a cricket tour, I called in to a night-match at Highbury and saw the Blades win 1-0 with a goal from Scullion. Unless you've done it, it's too late now!

Did you see an 11 year old nipper there screaming COME ON UNITED all night :D

We got in 10 minutes after the kick off and Scullion had already scored :gag:

Regards CB

UTB

Just to maintain the nostalgia aspect, I saw a photograph, only yesterday, of Tony Kay heading a clearance in that 1962 win at Highbury, and Wednesday were wearing those "Butcher's apron" shirts which I'm sure others of my vintage remember?

Don't know if anyone saw a programme on Sunday 2 June at 2.45am: "The Life of Bobby Moore"? It was an hour and a half long but one of the still black and white photographs used was of "Mooro" having his cut by Fantham at John's salon. Helping him, with a pair of garden shears, was Ron Springett who also appeared in a couple of other clips in Alf Ramsey's squad.

Yes I saw it. It was wonderful to see them both and brought back many happy memories of many wonderful players.

Well past my bedtime but the tape will not be erased. Hillsborough wasn't mentioned but the 1964 semi between WHU and Man Utd was at Hillsborough - a game I attended - but what a state the pitch was in, like a morass? John Sissons was in that Hammers' side and he eventually found his way to playing for the Owls.

Used to work at Shaws Hairdressers on West Street and had lunch with Johnny Fantham and Steve etc at the Piccolo Cafe on Cambridge Street on a regular basis. Great days ! :cool::cool::cool:

John lives just round the corner from me and up to about a couple of years ago used to drink in the same local as me. He's a top bloke and I've never seen anyone laugh so much at the karaoke version of Alice, Alice? Who the ---- is Alice.

My parents were good buddies with the Fanthoms. I still see them now and again in the area.

John Fantham is, of course, an old pupil of Burngreave Secondary School. Anybody remember being at school with him. He lived on Pitsmoor Road in those days.

He bought the old rolling mills from Woodhead Components & sold them on abroad.We heard to India.

Used to work at Shaws Hairdressers on West Street and had lunch with Johnny Fantham and Steve etc at the Piccolo Cafe on Cambridge Street on a regular basis. Great days ! :cool::cool::cool:

They were great days indeed. I am glad I had the privilege of watching John playing in that wonderful Catterick side. I think the 'derby' match had more significance in those days when more Sheffield-born players seemed to be involved? One of the unforgettable memories I have of John would be the ball he played - years before Beckham - from inside one touchline right over to the winger on the other flank.

Sadly, like many other players, John now seems to be bedevilled with arthritis but a fantastic club man who gave wonderful service to the Owls and me, much pleasure.