Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

Hi chairboy

Yes ,those were good times, a team we were proud of. Not like today i wouldn,t pay them in washers.

Whether it was youth or what, I travelled all over the country to see them. I don't think I'm unique but this will be rare, having seen both Sheffield clubs win at Highbury. The reason? Well Wednesday last won there in 1962 (Bronco Layne scored both goals at the Clock End in a 2-1 win. That's 44 years ago, so many are eliminated. Then, in 1971, coming back from a cricket tour, I called in to a night-match at Highbury and saw the Blades win 1-0 with a goal from Scullion. Unless you've done it, it's too late now!

Whether it was youth or what, I travelled all over the country to see them. I don't think I'm unique but this will be rare, having seen both Sheffield clubs win at Highbury. The reason? Well Wednesday last won there in 1962 (Bronco Layne scored both goals at the Clock End in a 2-1 win. That's 44 years ago, so many are eliminated. Then, in 1971, coming back from a cricket tour, I called in to a night-match at Highbury and saw the Blades win 1-0 with a goal from Scullion. Unless you've done it, it's too late now!

Anyone remember Wee Willie Hamilton, and Harry Ore.

Yes but his name was Orr. Hamilton died sometime ago at a youngish age.

They featured in a Sunday Times feature not long ago in a "Caught In Time" feature.

Both played alongside a pal of mine, Tommy Hoyland.

I went out with harry Orr,and my friend Mary went with Hammilton.Didnt last very long as i couldnt afford to keep paying when we went to the pictures,tight as a fishes ---

Would I be right in suggesting that one of Orr's best mates was Denis Shields?

John Fanthom was running a used machine tool business when I last saw him in the 80s, it must have been a busy time back then with all the local macine shops closing.

Anyone remember Wee Willie Hamilton, and Harry Ore.

Tommy Hoyland used to go out with my gran from Adlington Crescent, Parson Cross back in the 40s.

I'd better whisper that in his ear the next time I see him! He's a grand chap Tom, proof indeed that red and mix with blue. He spends time now visiting former players whose health isn't too good, and inevitably attends funerals of past friends. He's still very recognisable from those photo's of the 50's.

Keith Farnsworth's tome, "A Complete Record" has it as 167.

Fantham's shop on Division Street, was run by a Polish chap called Steve.

He has for a long time been a very good golfer and plays at Hallamshire.

I remember in 1961 when he scored Wednesday's winner against Spurs 2-1.

This Spurs' side went on to win the double that season and they lost their unbeaten run at Hillsborough.

Fantham got one cap against Luxembourg in 1961. He was born 6 Feb 1939, so belated 67th John.

Farnsworth will do for me. Many thanks.

Keith Farnsworth's tome, "A Complete Record" has it as 167.

Fantham's shop on Division Street, was run by a Polish chap called Steve.

He has for a long time been a very good golfer and plays at Hallamshire.

I remember in 1961 when he scored Wednesday's winner against Spurs 2-1.

This Spurs' side went on to win the double that season and they lost their unbeaten run at Hillsborough.

Fantham got one cap against Luxembourg in 1961. He was born 6 Feb 1939, so belated 67th John.

Steve the Polish hairdresser at Johnny Fantham's place worked there for years. I remember him in the early 60s and returned there whilst on a visit at the time of the 'Polish cardinal' becoming pope. "I see one of your countrymen is the new pope" says I. "I am not a Pole I am a Ukrainian" he replied. Apparently he had volunteered for the Waffen SS as a teenager, not because he was a Nazi but because he was anti-Russian. He fought at Stalingrad and finished up in France where he was captured and finished up in a local POW Camp (Lodge Moor?) As I recall he stayed on, married a local girl and at the time had a daughter working as a teacher in London. I well remember him saying:- "I fought ther bloody Russians once and I'll do it again"