Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

John Fantham is, of course, an old pupil of Burngreave Secondary School. Anybody remember being at school with him. He lived on Pitsmoor Road in those days.

Yes he was at Burngreave the same time as me but in a lower year.I think he left to go to technical college.

This is not spot-on but his name was something like Bajalda? No 'czw' so I accept your account of his being Ukrainian. Thanks for your imput, John is still around, let's hope Steve is.

I think his name was Stefan Bajdala, and as far as I know he's still going strong. In about 1994 his sister came over from the Ukraine to visit - it was quite an emotional reunion.

Yes but his name was Orr. Hamilton died sometime ago at a youngish age.

They featured in a Sunday Times feature not long ago in a "Caught In Time" feature.

Both played alongside a pal of mine, Tommy Hoyland.

I once got quite p----d with Tommy at a Yorkshire cricket testimonial at Thorpe Hesley, we were in the champagne tent and neither of us were used to it. How is he by the way? fingers crossed that he is still with us.

I once got quite p----d with Tommy at a Yorkshire cricket testimonial at Thorpe Hesley, we were in the champagne tent and neither of us were used to it. How is he by the way? fingers crossed that he is still with us.

Yes, he's hale and hearty as of a month ago. Our paths usually cross at swimming. Not so long ago he had heart surgery (by/pass) but always seems to be on the move - nipping over to Lancashire to see Jamie who works for Preston.

Anyone remember the lad who worked the other chair in Fanthams hairdressers? His name was Ken ........? I used to work with him before he went to Fanthams around 72/73. He lived on Derbyshire Lane. Would love to catch up with him.

John Fanthom was running a used machine tool business when I last saw him in the 80s, it must have been a busy time back then with all the local macine shops closing.

Are you confusing John with Jim Mcanearney? He had a machine shop in Hillfoot

i remember he used to have a barbers shop on division street

As i said in an earlier post he bought most of the old rolling mills and equipment when woodhead components closed down.He either sold them to India or an Arab country.Or so we were told.

John Fantham is, of course, an old pupil of Burngreave Secondary School. Anybody remember being at school with him. He lived on Pitsmoor Road in those days.

His Mum used to own the Mace shop at Pitsmoor. I remember me and a mate going round to his house for his autograph. I reckon I was about 10. we knocked on the door and his Mum answered. We could see him sat there eating his tea. She asked what we wanted, one of us can't remember who said can we have Mr Fantham's autograph please. Sorry she says he's having his tea. Hold on a minute says John and gets up and walks to the door in his tartan carpet slippers and signs our books. We were star struck.

Somehow can't see Rooney et al doing the same these days.

His Mum used to own the Mace shop at Pitsmoor. I remember me and a mate going round to his house for his autograph. I reckon I was about 10. we knocked on the door and his Mum answered. We could see him sat there eating his tea. She asked what we wanted, one of us can't remember who said can we have Mr Fantham's autograph please. Sorry she says he's having his tea. Hold on a minute says John and gets up and walks to the door in his tartan carpet slippers and signs our books. We were star struck.

Somehow can't see Rooney et al doing the same these days.

I recall a Wednesday night game against Stoke, Gordon Banks was having an absolute blinder, Stoke were winning 0-1, until Fant struck in the dying embers of the game. A few more like him would do the game no harm at all.

Not sure why none of the old boys like JF aren't recognsed on the walls of fame at Hillsborough. People like him, Alan Finney, Don Megson, etc did more for the Owls than most of those who have been honoured.

Most of the new babies and school kids in Pitsmoor in the 60/70's would have worn some article of clothing that had been knitted with wool bought from 'Auntie Molly's ' wool shop next door to the Mace shop. Molly Fantham was a lovely lady who had time for each and every one of her customers ....no matter how busy the shop was ....and no one ever complained !!