My neighbours wall is dangerous

It isn't a high wall, its a stone one about 3-3.5 feet high at the front of the house only however if this fell on my child it could cause serious damage and may even result in death literally

If it's one of those 1930's type walls made out of concrete blocks made to look like stone - it will be a very heavy wall too. We took part of our wall down at the foot of our garden as it was unsafe. I thought that the 'stones' would weigh the same as a breeze block - they must be double the weight.

I need some advice in that my next door neighbours wall that faces the street and communal entry way is very dangerous and is now leaning quite severely outwards. The wall has separated from the house wall, the mortar has long since fallen out and its both a liability and an accident waiting to happen.

I have mentioned on a few occasions over the past two years that the wall needs to be rebuilt and repaired however this just falls on deaf ears. In fact the whole house needs completely renovating if I'm honest. The homeowner is in the 40K bracket and can afford this quite easily however I am concerned that my child and other children may get crushed if this isn't repaired soon. She also drives a 40K car!!! so isn't short of money.

Therefore is the homeowner liable? in the event of injury etc and what can I do to get her to pay out to have this issue fixed before its too late. The homeowner is a good neighbour to be fair however this concerns me somewhat

Any advice is appreciated.

Council dangerous structures team should deal with this, my brother bought a house and the roadside garden wall was leaning out when he got it.

Somebody reported it and he got a visit saying he needed it sorting as it could injure someone if it fell so he had to get it sorted out.

Maybe if someone was to lean on it and it was to fall over then this would get things moving along a little quicker.

Someone might even get a compo claim out of it if they were to get injured while leaning gently on this wall.

thats really naughty

Your nieghbour should take this seriously and so should you. If you have merely mentioned this over the garden gate so to speak then it would be a good idea to knock on her door and say something like I would like to have a serious talk with you about your garden wall as I believe it is dangerous and could cause a lot of trouble for you if it fell on someone or on your car. She may not realise how serious it can be and indeed may not have seen it from the physical angle that you view it from. My guess is that roots from whatever is planted in the garden have grown considerably and disturbed the wall causing it to bow out. When the earth drys out and then again becomes saturated and in winter freezes the wall is disturbed a bit more each year and the roots will keep on growing and pushing outward. ask her to come and look at the wall from your property and the common entry and point out how it has moved. If she refuses get in touch with the council there are powers to deal with dangerous structures.

I did try this last year and I think she felt insulted by it, nonetheless nothing has still been done about it and its far worse now than ever before to the extent if you catch it, it starts moving.

The wall is actually making its way to the pavement as we speak of its own accord!

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 21:32 ----------

thats really naughty

Despite that it still made me smile:)