Some posties realy annoy

fabcakes

I apologise in advance for being critical, but I don't believe that it is acceptable to have dogs running loose in the situation you describe. It would be far safer if they were to be behind a second gate in their own enclosure. Irrespective of whether people close the gate or not, how do they know that your dogs are safe? It's the owner's responsibility to keep their dogs secure. It's no good relying on strangers to do it for you.

I was in the garden with them I was hanging some washing out they wasn't on their own

& im not being funny your saying I should let my dogs run round free in my

own garden :huh:

I saw the postie open the gate then just leave it unlocked when it was locked in the 1st place its on a catch im not in the habit of leaving unlocked

knowing I have dogs to think about im not that stupid :rant:

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 16:15 ----------

It's absolutely acceptable to have dogs loose in your own garden. As I mentioned in the previous post the dogs would be much safer in an area that is not directly open to the road. It's no good putting signs on the gate and relying on people to read them. Visitors may be visually or physically impaired, unable to read, dyslexic, English may not be their first language - there are all manner of reasons. To trust a stranger to make sure dogs are secure is not satisfactory. The fact that the OP is complaining about it proves the point.

& I only allow the dogs in the garden if im in the garden as well so I don't

think that makes me irresponsible :suspect:

There was no mention of personal irresponsibility. If this arrangement suits you then fine but clearly it is not without its difficulties. It is simply not feasible to rely on people to close a gate, however much you may feel they should.

Ignore them FC

Given that anybody entering your garden can see the dogs in the first place, I've no idea why the postie wouldn't just hand you your letters over the gate

Some people log on here with their disapproval hat wedged firmly over their ears

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 16:55 ----------

Ccit - the only way to ensure you don't lose a dog is not to own one by your logic

Can you stop trying to be unpleasant to Fabcakes

Somebody offers an alternative opinion and is condemned for it. This is exactly the problem with this pet section of the forum and why several comments have been made (in another current thread) about cliques. If anything proves that assertion it is this thread. There is no reason why everyone should agree with one person's views. A forum is for the exchange of ideas and thoughts, not a mutual admiration society.

I do not wish to be critical of the OP - she must deal with her animals as she sees fit but I stand by my belief that owners (not referring to the OP here) should not rely on other people to ensure the security of their animals. Added to this is the risk of perfectly legitimate visitors being confronted by several dogs. Not everyone likes them, some might be allergic and some even phobic. Ask anyone who visits homes within the course of their working life about loose dogs and you will probably get very similar, negative replies.

Edited by ccit

Postman have a habit of reading the mail as they open gates i've noticed that so perhaps he never saw them.

Myself if I was that worried about dogs i'd automatically close the bloody gate to hopefully prevent them getting to me but fear has a funny way of making you react irrationally so who knows.

Having said that i'm pretty sure if this was a newspaper article the owner would be irresponsible for not having a spring on the gate.

I do not wish to be critical of the OP - she must deal with her animals as she sees fit but I stand by my belief that owners (not referring to the OP here) should not rely on other people to ensure the security of their animals. Added to this is the risk of perfectly legitimate visitors being confronted by several dogs. Not everyone likes them, some might be allergic and some even phobic. Ask anyone who visits homes within the course of their working life about loose dogs and you will probably get very similar, negative replies.

You do seem to be nitpicking for the sake of it though. "Perfectly legitimate visitors" are presumably those invited by the OP, either friends or people with an appointment. If they are phobic or allergic and the OP knows in advance that they are visiting, then presumably she can deal with that. If it's just someone coming to the door they're hardly likely to be in contact with the dogs long enough to upset their allergy. I think it's a good way of putting off unwanted visitors.

Edited by irenewilde

I think people are missing the point in that fabcakes was actually outside with her dogs at the time & hadn't just let them out on their own. The area was secure when she let them out & to be honest I think it shows the postman to be extremely neglectful in that he knew the dogs were out but still failed to secure the gate behind him, which basically shows that he was the one putting the dogs & anyone else in danger for carelessly giving them an escape route.

I think people are missing the point in that fabcakes was actually outside with her dogs at the time & hadn't just let them out on their own. The area was secure when she let them out & to be honest I think it shows the postman to be extremely neglectful in that he knew the dogs were out but still failed to secure the gate behind him, which basically shows that he was the one putting the dogs & anyone else in danger for carelessly giving them an escape route.

Indeed. He was the only one to blame in this.