New traffic lights etc junction 36. Why??

Planner1 you really are living on a different planet!!! Do you actually drive a car!!! Do you sit in traffic at rush-hour staring at empty roundabouts and traffic lights that are green for 5 secs!!! You seriously need to get out there and see for yourself!!!

Planner1 you really are living on a different planet!!! Do you actually drive a car!!! Do you sit in traffic at rush-hour staring at empty roundabouts and traffic lights that are green for 5 secs!!! You seriously need to get out there and see for yourself!!!

I drive a car most days thank you and I drove through j36 roundabout twice a day up to about a year ago and, I was involved in the discussions with the HA on the improvements at this location.

The roundabout at j36 is over capacity at peak times. What the HA have done is introduce a system which manages the queues more effectively and improves safety. The whole area, including Tankersley roundabout needs some serious money spending to improve capacity.

I drive a car most days thank you and I drove through j36 roundabout twice a day up to about a year ago and, I was involved in the discussions with the HA on the improvements at this location.

The roundabout at j36 is over capacity at peak times. What the HA have done is introduce a system which manages the queues more effectively and improves safety. The whole area, including Tankersley roundabout needs some serious money spending to improve capacity.

it seems on every thread about planning/things you have worked on they havent worked :suspect: ive asked you before give us examples that things you have worked on have actually benefited someone :hihi:

it seems on every thread about planning/things you have worked on they havent worked :suspect: ive asked you before give us examples that things you have worked on have actually benefited someone :hihi:

Thee's a difference between being involved in discussions (ie being consulted by the HA) and actually working on a project. The HA proved to the satisfaction of Barnsley Council that the improvements would deliver what they said. It was an HA project, their contractors did the design and delivered it. Barnsley Council, where I worked at the time, were just consultees.

The permit parking zones I introduced in Sheffield are a significant benefit to a lot of people.

I can remember before the lights were installed at the M1 North slip road, traffic used to back up onto the actual M1 carridgeway, and was a very dangerous situation with drivers actaully pulling onto the hard shoulder to queue to avoid near misses. This has actually improved matters, but the new signals sees queing traffic along the A61 north approach.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that slip now has 3 lanes at the roundabout??

Previously it only had two (you can still see the old layout on Google Maps)

I'd wager that the decreased que's on that sliproad are down to increased capacity from the extra lane and not down to the traffic lights (it already had lights there anyway)

They arnt there to benefit anyone they are designed to cause conjestion.Screwing up the road networks cant be easy and im pretty sure planner and his collegues would have messed up somewhere but i wouldnt bet on it.

Pay per mile is hovering in the background once the technology is in place and working it will come,of course it will need to be well placed not to cost too many votes but more tax for workers in coming its just when.

Of course first they have to brain wash everyone that going over 10mph is dangerous so they do their work for them along side

road humps

junction narrowing

short traffic light timings.

traffic lights that stop traffic when theres no need

unesserary traffic lights.

unessercary variable speed limits

lanes painted out.

signs blocking vision at junctions

and badgering drivers to drive like clowns staring at their speedos more than the roads.

of course theres plenty more

You tell me, you claim to use it regularly from all directions?

The information I had from several sources, including GPS tracked buses, was that there were substantial delays on the Hoyland approach in the AM peak.

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 16:52 ----------

It isn't left to "common sense". These things are modelled to simulate the results.

The traffic modelling that the Highways Agency carried out told them it would improve matters.

I suggest that if you have issues with the operation of the junction you should contact the HA and complain. You can do so via their website I believe.

It should have been left to common sense,and it's a bit late to complain now our money's been wasted already.

I've contacted HA before on other areas and they don't respond. The problem we have here is that we don't utilize all the lanes available. One prime example, is Jnct 33 M1 Sheffield Parkway. Traffic leaving the motorway @ J33 southbound are directed into the right hand lane on approach to the r/bout as they all want to enter the Sheffield Parkway. This however, causes a dangerous tailback backing onto the M1 creating congestion and stationary traffic build up.

The easy solution would be to allow traffic wanting to exit at Sheffield Parkway to use both lanes of M1 exit slip road and r/bout.

Some drivers, me being one can see this and instead of waiting in the right hand lane drive down the left lane and indicate right which causes no problem since the other lane just use the inside lane of the r/bout leaving the the outermost empty and unused.

This can be seen on many r/bouts where using both lanes alows for turning right at the 3rd exit.

All that needed is someone with a bit of white paint and an arrow painting.

This again is what's happening at J36 where traffic going straight on clog up the left hand lane when they could use both lanes allowing more traffic to get through whilst the lights are at green.

It needs signs saying 'use both lanes'

The problem at Jnt 33 happens everyday and traffic builds up causing dangerous conditions on the M1 but HA does nothing about it apart from Matrix signs coming up warning people of congestion which is not the right way to go about it.

I read yesterday that Barnsley Council may be putting traffic lights in at junction 37 as well in order to better manage congestion. Expect this one to run and run.