'Forge Valley have failed ofsted inspection

Sorry to be so late to this debate - I have just arrived home after working away for a while and am shocked at this news. However, what I find incredulous is that those who previously opposed a merger are on here stating we "told you so" - the very same people who swore they would never send their kids there, yet in these threads admit that they DO have kids there now.

Surely the approach is for all to get behind our Community school, support agreed actions and work to get out of these special measures ASAP. A call for changes to Leadership does not seem to change those ends - a great head does not become a bad Head overnight.

What I would like to see on here is an update on the response to the OFSTED report - from what I have read from my kids who still attend there, there was to be an appeal against the findings - any news on that?? Certainly nothing through my door on that as far as I can see. Action needs to be based on facts, so what are the current facts on this? Please advise??

Sorry to be so late to this debate - I have just arrived home after working away for a while and am shocked at this news. However, what I find incredulous is that those who previously opposed a merger are on here stating we "told you so" - the very same people who swore they would never send their kids there, yet in these threads admit that they DO have kids there now.

Surely the approach is for all to get behind our Community school, support agreed actions and work to get out of these special measures ASAP. A call for changes to Leadership does not seem to change those ends - a great head does not become a bad Head overnight.

What I would like to see on here is an update on the response to the OFSTED report - from what I have read from my kids who still attend there, there was to be an appeal against the findings - any news on that?? Certainly nothing through my door on that as far as I can see. Action needs to be based on facts, so what are the current facts on this? Please advise??

I'm still waiting for the promised copy of the presentation on their plans to get out of special measures to be put on the website for parents who were unable to attend - still not there so I see communication improvements still not a high priority :S I would have really liked to see their plans...

(it may well be there somewhere but hidden so we cant find it).

Edited by Lucy-Lastic

I've heard from a few people that the head will be leaving in December 2013 and that the school will become an academy from January 2014 (with a change of uniform for the second time in two years meaning three different uniforms in 4 years for alot of parents).

I won't be sorry to see the head leave as she is clearly out of her depth.

Nothing compared to people like yourself who insisted that 'state of the art building' = 'state of the art education'

Nothing compared to people like yourself who insisted that 'state of the art building' = 'state of the art education'

Exactly.

As post #148 states, theres no point spending millions on a new school if theres no money left for teaching resources.

My eldest came home the first week from the newly opened Forget Valley asking for a £2 contribution towards a text book. Contribution is perhaps the wrong word as if you did not pay it you did not get a text book.

Just a couple of small interesting points here.

The exam results that have been published so far are of the last 2 year 11's to leave. Most of which were unhappy about having to move to a new school and mix with new pupils. A lot of the older pupils were often saying 'i hate it'. Was this probably because they were taken from their comfort zone. Numerous family members were among these pupils.

Also i find strange the fact that at my work place 2 other colleagues told me last week that there schools have also been put in special measures. One in Chesterfield and another in Sheffield. These schools are NOT academies and parents have said that they cant believe that the schools have been graded like this as their children are doing really well.

It all seems very very fishy to me!!

Finally just for the record, i am not an employee of Forge Valley though do have a child in Y8 who is doing really well as are most of the kids we know. I am a former Wisewood pupil as is my husband. However something doesnt seem right here.

Exactly.

As post #148 states, theres no point spending millions on a new school if theres no money left for teaching resources.

My eldest came home the first week from the newly opened Forget Valley asking for a £2 contribution towards a text book. Contribution is perhaps the wrong word as if you did not pay it you did not get a text book.

An appropriate name change maybe!

Exactly.

Sadly this isn't unique. Many schools which were rebuilt under BSF got very nasty shocks when they found their new glass, open-plan and airy buildings cost a fortune to heat in winter and cool in summer.

I don't think it mentions it in this report, but in a construction industry article on this academy their heating bill went from £200,000 to £1 million a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1320350/Scandal-Blairs-31-million-flagship-school-A-leaking-roof-broken-designer-toilets-useless-system.html

An appropriate name change maybe!

Quite intentional.:)

---------- Post added 11-07-2013 at 10:46 ----------

Sadly this isn't unique. Many schools which were rebuilt under BSF got very nasty shocks when they found their new glass, open-plan and airy buildings cost a fortune to heat in winter and cool in summer.

I don't think it mentions it in this report, but in a construction industry article on this academy their heating bill went from £200,000 to £1 million a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1320350/Scandal-Blairs-31-million-flagship-school-A-leaking-roof-broken-designer-toilets-useless-system.html

But at least the buildings look nice, sod giving the children a good education.

Yep. Its the same with the new fad - iPads for all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20930195

I know someone who went for a look round this school, and lets just say that the BBC article on it isn't entirely accurate - iPads didn't cut the photocopy bill, new printing measures and restrictions and more efficient printers did.

And the figures don't add up. The school has 900 pupils, yet the supplier - Capita - claim they only provided 400 iPads. Although they did provide 1000 iPod touch

Edited by alchresearch

Yep. Its the same with the new fad - iPads for all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20930195

I know someone who went for a look round this school, and lets just say that the BBC article on it isn't entirely accurate - iPads didn't cut the photocopy bill, new printing measures and restrictions and more efficient printers did.

And the figures don't add up. The school has 900 pupils, yet the supplier - Capita - claim they only provided 400 iPads. Although they did provide 1000 iPod touch

On a letter sent home from Shooters Grove school for next years pupils at Forge Valley it says the school has 1,300 pupils.

Quite intentional.:)

---------- Post added 11-07-2013 at 10:46 ----------

But at least the buildings look nice, sod giving the children a good education.

Dont even think the Building looks nice :hihi:

Sham School is Its real name in my book!!