Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

I worked in various engineering shops in Dinnington & Chesterfield which were staffed by ex-miners (I think businesses got a financial incentive to take them on and train them). None of them said they preferred life down the pit, and were far happier having been retrained as machine operators and setters and centre lathe turners.

Are those engineering shops open now?

Well from a woman who supported Pinochet and described Nelson Mandela as "that grubby little terrorist" I can't see how you can be so sure of that.

apparently she wanted Mandela free

"Thatcher told Botha the policy of racial separation was 'unacceptable'.[34] She urged him to free jailed black leader Nelson Mandela; to halt the harassment of black dissidents; to stop the bombing of African National Congress (ANC) guerrilla bases in front-line states; and to comply with UN Security Council resolutions and withdraw from Namibia.[35]"

Well from a woman who supported Pinochet and described Nelson Mandela as "that grubby little terrorist" I can't see how you can be so sure of that.

But he was a grubby little terrorist. Dont be fooled by the fact hes a popular black man. Hes a terrorist and political correctness got him released. Nothing more!

I would call opposing the indictment of Pinochet supporting him wouldn't you? she also called him a friend and adamantly defended him on numerous occasions.

You should read the link I post earlier, she was simply paying him back for the support he gave our forces during the Falklands conflict. The saying, The enemy of my enemy is my friend, comes to mind.

It may sound selfish but when the mines were closed I wa so happy. My grandad lost his hand and his hearing working underground, 3 years later he had alzheimers,but he could never forget things that happened down there

x

No I didn't, I responded to your post in its entirety with a counter argument, I know several families that are still in the same council house that they was in the 70’s, some are still council houses and some are now owned, none of them are available to anyone else, if their aren’t enough houses that’s either because there are too many people or not enough houses, selling them to people that would have never been able to afford their own houses didn’t reduce the number of houses.

It reduced the number of council houses to be rented at affordable prices, the amount of ex council houses being rented by private landlords confirms that.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 11:15 ----------

You should read the link I post earlier, she was simply paying him back for the support he gave our forces during the Falklands conflict. The saying, The enemy of my enemy is my friend, comes to mind.

You should google "thatcher Pinochet" either way you have admitted she supported him for whatever reason even demanding his release in 1999.

Edited by airking

I worked in various engineering shops in Dinnington & Chesterfield which were staffed by ex-miners (I think businesses got a financial incentive to take them on and train them). None of them said they preferred life down the pit, and were far happier having been retrained as machine operators and setters and centre lathe turners.

Yep, many miners moved on but sadly some became bitter and twisted, which probably ruined the rest of their life.

Are those engineering shops open now?

Amazingly yes. IFS at Chesterfield relocated to Sandiacre Nottingham, but they took all the staff who wanted to go.

It reduced the number of council houses to be rented at affordable prices, the amount of ex council houses being rented by private landlords confirms that.

You should google "thatcher Pinochet" either way you have admitted she supported him for whatever reason.

And that's the problem, if it hadn't been for the property bubble and the buy to let brigade these houses would be owned by the people that are now forced to rent them.

People want to own their home, car, TV, washing machine, they don’t want to rent them, they only rent these thing because they can’t afford to buy them, Thatcher changed that, but sadly Labour policies reversed that change.

Just lots and lots of brain dead people, they wonder why their is no money or jobs in the country and where their taxes go, when it's quite clearly used to clean up the mess they made

Many owners don't live in an house for life, prior to 2000 we had low cost affordable housing, first time buyers bought the cheapest houses, lived in them for several years and then moving to better houses, the cycle was broke with the property bubble and buy to let brigade which started buying upon all the low cost first time buyer houses and forcing the younger generation back into rent. Home ownership gives everyone a little piece of Britain, what we have now is the opposite of what Thatcher wanted, housing moving back into the ownership of the few and renting to the many.

Well it was HER housing policies that engineered it and this is where her RTB housing policies ended up. DISCUSTING.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/right-to-buy-housing-shame-third-ex-council-1743338

You should google "thatcher Pinochet" either way you have admitted she supported him for whatever reason even demanding his release in 1999.

I don't need to Google it, without Pinochet’s help in the Falkland conflict many British service men would have lost their lives, so we owed him.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 11:28 ----------

Well it was HER housing policies that engineered it and this is where her RTB housing policies ended up. DISCUSTING.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/right-to-buy-housing-shame-third-ex-council-1743338

There were many years and a 13 year labour government between what she did and now, you can blame her all you like but that won't alter the fact that home ownership was an aspiration that was affordable until labour destroyed it was their policies which caused the housing bubble made them once again unaffordable.