Which song most captures the spirit of the Thatcher era?

Mod Note

If you want to discuss Billy Bragg, please start a new thread

Mod Note

I was hoping that you were going to give us a song:)

Mod Note

Err he was one of Maggies biggest critics, relevant me thinks. Oh and he is very rich, but likes to spout his left wing views on the rich and powerful?

Mod Note

I was hoping that you were going to give us a song:)
I was rather hoping people posting would add a tune too.
Err he was one of Maggies biggest critics, relevant me thinks. Oh and he is very rich, but likes to spout his left wing views on the rich and powerful?
Yes but it isn't a song is it

I can always close the thread if no one has any more suggestions to add.

Mod NoteI was rather hoping people posting would add a tune too.

I can always close the thread if no one has any more suggestions to add.

I believe the Police played the original of this just before getting on the bus to Orgreave

..:)

Went to get a job and then I found a job...and heavens knows I'm miserable now...

Mod Note

Please remember posting a link with no supporting comment is against forum rules.

I suggest adding a title as a minimum.

Well as almost every post which has been posted tonight with any degree of criticism of Thatcher seems to have been systematically removed, I thought that the thread would be closed if I dared to suggest reasons why I thought this song was the most apt choice!

I think that Ghost Town is the most appropriate tune for the Thatcher era because it got to No1 as Sheffields steel and engineering base that had taken generations and a couple of centuries to build up was being closed down and the household names that had employed whole familes were being bulldozed out of existence, leaving tens of thousands of people with no hope and no future.

Ghost-town. The Specials.

Me too...........

Well as almost every post which has been posted tonight with any degree of criticism of Thatcher seems to have been systematically removed, I thought that the thread would be closed if I dared to suggest reasons why I thought this song was the most apt choice!

I think that Ghost Town is the most appropriate tune for the Thatcher era because it got to No1 as Sheffields steel and engineering base that had taken generations and a couple of centuries to build up was being closed down and the household names that had employed whole familes were being bulldozed out of existence, leaving tens of thousands of people with no hope and no future.

Ghost Town is very evocative. It hit the charts as people hit the streets, rioting. There have been more eloquent anti-Thatcher songs written, but Ghost Town is right up there with the most haunting.

As an aside, it is a shame that a thread like this, with so much potential to explore our social and artistic history , is subject to such threatening moderator messages. None of us are breaking any rules. All the posting is pretty respectful. It would be good if it was left to develop.

lets see some songs that have a bit of ordinary womens politics from the eighties...

(can't find any footage of women against pit closures, reclaim the night, the anti apartheid link...in fact women were active in most political resistance at that time)

Alone by Heart because apart from my ex husband I was alone amongst my friends in voting for this idiot