Vauxhall Problems

HELP. I have a Vauxhall Astra Bertone 2.2 16v. Basically this problem used to happen then go away. I can go out in a morning car wont start, i have to rev it to get it going then revs drop and car dies last time this happened was months ago but once it got going ran perfect now the problems come back worse.

It will start perfect after 5/10 min of driving it the revs are up and down, cars juddering constantly while driving, when slowing down the revs drop as to cut out but if i keep reving its ok. It smells of petrol when starting it up and while driving yesterday it cut out. If i keep it above 2000 revs its ok.

Its been on 3 testers but coming back with no codes but its only been on testers parked up when the problems not there does that make a difference? been told it needs to be drove while on a tester so the problem occurs.

Any help would be great

Sounds a bit like air flow meter fault to me,

I havent got a clue about cars is that a big problem? Ive had the airbox took of and a air filter put on if thats it? The problem was there when the box was on just not as bad as this. The cars auto to if that helps

I hate intermittent faults on cars,it could be anything from an ECU fault or something as simple as a loose wire,the smell of petrol would lead me to think either the air flow meter is faulty or you have a fuel leak and air is getting in somewhere.

I've got a 1.8 coupe, and I had a similar issue, did a lot of research and it turns out to be a very common thing with these Astras. (mine was bouncing on idle, and having flat spots on acceleration) took the air box out and sprayed some carb cleaner around the butterfly valve that opens when you rev it and it has been perfect since.

I read these engines get quite gunked up and every now and then just need a good clean, I've also had to replace the MAF sensor (£90) and now the engine runs perfect.

Alternatively, I've read about the pipes on the injectors popping off? but I think that was just a one off for this one gent. I think the cheapest way would be to throw in some injector cleaner and clean out the butterfly valve on the back, then see if it's better.

Also, try doing the 'break test' hold down the break and the accelerator, turn the guy so just the battery is on, keep them pressed and your service light will flash in a series and this relates to a code, you can then look it up online (for example 7 flashes, break, 6 flashes, break, 5 flashes break would be code 765)

Thank u guys think I'll try the break test tomorrow ive bought some throttle cleaner so will try that then I think next step it MAF sensor. Why can't cars be little wind up ones there would be none of these problems it's driving me crazy

Why would you wait so long to take your car to see a mechanic?

Cars are lethal weapons, if there is any chance its going to fail while your on the road (possibly doing motorway speeds) then you should get it sorted before you cause a bloody pile up.

this is the Z22SE engine and the most common fault for this thing is the coolant temp sensor , there about £20 to buy , the petrol smell is the other most common problem is a cracked exhaust manifold these are around £35-45 second hand to buy , i have had this engine myself and if you need further advise there is a forum all about these engines called Z22SE.co.uk or send me a pm i may be able to help

Why would you wait so long to take your car to see a mechanic?

Cars are lethal weapons, if there is any chance its going to fail while your on the road (possibly doing motorway speeds) then you should get it sorted before you cause a bloody pile up.

The last time this happened was months ago and never did it while driving only parked up and as for failing while driving how was I suppose to know it was going to do it. I was actually on my way back from a mechanic on a side road not a motor way and I brought the car straight home where it's not moved since.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 11:12 ----------

this is the Z22SE engine and the most common fault for this thing is the coolant temp sensor , there about £20 to buy , the petrol smell is the other most common problem is a cracked exhaust manifold these are around £35-45 second hand to buy , i have had this engine myself and if you need further advise there is a forum all about these engines called Z22SE.co.uk or send me a pm i may be able to help

Thank u for that ive just found and MAF sensor for £20 gonna try that, gonna check throttle body then give ur ideas ago. Did the break test this morning but not giving faults either

I had same problem and yesterday cleaned my throttle body, it was filthy. Running spot on now it's cleaned.

The person to try is Tim Harrison. He is an auto electrician and sorted my mates Astra after 4 attempts by others he then sorted my van out as I had issues with it. He only deals in Vauxhalls. 07802 216021

I had a similar problem with a vectra i used to have, I hooked it up onto my mates fault reader and it said clean throttle body.

I bought some carb cleaner cleaned it and ran brill after.

Also a crack or hole in vacuum pipes could have similar affects.