E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

I think you're banging your head against a brick wall here my friend. This person evidently doesn't subscribe to the use of common sense in discussion.

Explain to me then Einstein, why just because you are pretending to put a ciggy in your mouth, this should allow their use in pubs.

The law says cigarettes are banned from being smoked in pubs and such ( I have never agreed, but I'm law abiding), and NS quite clearly states they are a substitute for smoking. So my argument is why should they not stand out, in all weathers, like my poor wife has to.

I mean if you want a substitute man up & stop, I did oh & it did it on sheer willpower as well, I was a 30 a day man sometimes more.

There is no conclusive proof yet as to how safe or unsafe they are, but they don't just get banned for fun.

The main reason they will be banned from pubs and clubs is nothing to do with health. It'll be done to stop misunderstandings, and other customers thinking it's a real cig so they can light up too.

Easy solution is to use an e-cig which doesn't emit "smoke". Then it just looks like you're sucking on a lollipop.

If the Ecig can be classed as 'smoking' just because its used as a substitute for smoking, then why don't we also ban the plastic cigarettes made by Nicorette, or gum, or patches? All substitutes. Maybe we should ban people who suck on a biro and hold it like a cigarette at work etc as a substitute?

As for the confusing Ecigs for a real one in pubs, there are many now that do the same job but look nothing like a cigarette - what happens to those?

An eCig has to be thousands of times safer than a cigarette. If i'm right in thinking, they only contain nicotine, which is the least harmful of all the thousands of deadly chemicals that are smoked in a real cigarette. You might keep the nicotine addiction, but that isn't what kills you.

Can you show me the published reports?

... or do you think that powerful lobbying groups funded by companies pedalling inferior products might have something to do with it, as well excessive taxation from tobacco products.

Why certainly.

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm173222.htm

FDA and Public Health Experts Warn About Electronic Cigarettes

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

Electronic cigarettes, also called “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.

These products are marketed and sold to young people and are readily available online and in shopping malls. In addition, these products do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes. They are also available in different flavors, such as chocolate and mint, which may appeal to young people.

Public health experts expressed concern that electronic cigarettes could increase nicotine addiction and tobacco use in young people. Jonathan Winickoff, M.D., chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics Tobacco Consortium and Jonathan Samet, M.D., director of the Institute for Global Health at the University of Southern California, joined Joshua Sharfstein, M.D., principal deputy commissioner of the FDA, and Matthew McKenna, M.D., director of the Office of Smoking and Health for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to discuss the potential risks associated with the use of electronic cigarettes.

“The FDA is concerned about the safety of these products and how they are marketed to the public,” said Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D., commissioner of food and drugs.

Because these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, at this time the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the amounts or kinds of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user.

The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These tests indicate that these products contained detectable levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users could potentially be exposed.

The FDA has been examining and detaining shipments of e-cigarettes at the border and the products it has examined thus far meet the definition of a combination drug-device product under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The FDA has been challenged regarding its jurisdiction over certain e-cigarettes in a case currently pending in federal district court. The agency is also planning additional activities to address its concerns about these products.

Health care professionals and consumers may report serious adverse events (side effects) or product quality problems with the use of e-cigarettes to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail, fax or phone.

Edited by eckerslike

It's vaping NOT smoking and there is no smell.

I have used mine in plenty of bars and pubs and have never been asked to go outside. The only time I've had a managers quiz me over it, is out of curiosity because they had never seen one.

Reading some of the comments on this thread, I can only assume that they have never seen one in use or they are talking about something completely different.

A daybreak link with Dr Hilary Jones for the ill informed

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJnARAomLac

It's vaping NOT smoking and there is no smell.

I have used mine in plenty of bars and pubs and have never been asked to go outside. The only time I've had a managers quiz me over it, is out of curiosity because they had never seen one.

Reading some of the comments on this thread, I can only assume that they have never seen one in use or they are talking about something completely different.

A daybreak link with Dr Hilary Jones for the ill informed

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJnARAomLac

Isn't it odd then that so many countries have banned the devices outright. Perhaps it is you that is unaware of the facts about these badly made and often untested contraptions.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120216/9129/e-cig-electronic-cigarette-explode-florida-north-bay-fire-department.htm

A severely burned Florida man who also lost some of his teeth and parts of his tongue is when an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth is recovering in the hospital, fire officials said on Wednesday.

“The best analogy is like it was trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off,” said Joseph Parker, division chief for the North Bay Fire Department to AP. “The battery flew out of the tube and set the closet on fire.”

I'm sitting on the fence here as an ex smoker,but my wife smoked 20 cigs a day till she bought one of these substitutes,she is still smoking occassionaly,but her intake is now less than one packet a week.

Surely you must see that as an aid to finally quitting altogether,if they helped stop her altogether i would gladly pay a thousand pounds for one.

Why certainly.

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm173222.htm

FDA and Public Health Experts Warn About Electronic Cigarettes

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

Electronic cigarettes, also called “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.

These products are marketed and sold to young people and are readily available online and in shopping malls. In addition, these products do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes. They are also available in different flavors, such as chocolate and mint, which may appeal to young people.

Public health experts expressed concern that electronic cigarettes could increase nicotine addiction and tobacco use in young people. Jonathan Winickoff, M.D., chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics Tobacco Consortium and Jonathan Samet, M.D., director of the Institute for Global Health at the University of Southern California, joined Joshua Sharfstein, M.D., principal deputy commissioner of the FDA, and Matthew McKenna, M.D., director of the Office of Smoking and Health for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to discuss the potential risks associated with the use of electronic cigarettes.

“The FDA is concerned about the safety of these products and how they are marketed to the public,” said Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D., commissioner of food and drugs.

Because these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, at this time the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the amounts or kinds of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user.

The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These tests indicate that these products contained detectable levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users could potentially be exposed.

The FDA has been examining and detaining shipments of e-cigarettes at the border and the products it has examined thus far meet the definition of a combination drug-device product under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The FDA has been challenged regarding its jurisdiction over certain e-cigarettes in a case currently pending in federal district court. The agency is also planning additional activities to address its concerns about these products.

Health care professionals and consumers may report serious adverse events (side effects) or product quality problems with the use of e-cigarettes to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail, fax or phone.

Firstly that is 3 years old and it has not being taken further? To add, the pharmaceutical companies are p*$$ed because they have invested billions into the harm of smoking and cessation products but none of them have got links to ecigs, which actually have proved to have worked more successfully than other products.

I'm sitting on the fence here as an ex smoker,but my wife smoked 20 cigs a day till she bought one of these substitutes,she is still smoking occassionaly,but her intake is now less than one packet a week.

Surely you must see that as an aid to finally quitting altogether,if they helped stop her altogether i would gladly pay a thousand pounds for one.

Hope she stops altogether m8, as I say I had to use willpower only oh; & being told that I came within 1 week of dying, certainly made my mind up. It was not a direct result of smoking either, but it makes you prioritise:):)

Isn't it odd then that so many countries have banned the devices outright. Perhaps it is you that is unaware of the facts about these badly made and often untested contraptions.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120216/9129/e-cig-electronic-cigarette-explode-florida-north-bay-fire-department.htm

A severely burned Florida man who also lost some of his teeth and parts of his tongue is when an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth is recovering in the hospital, fire officials said on Wednesday.

“The best analogy is like it was trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off,” said Joseph Parker, division chief for the North Bay Fire Department to AP. “The battery flew out of the tube and set the closet on fire.”

I buy mine from a large reputable british company. I also have used sunbeds, and other electrical hair products around my face, with the potential of exploding so I'll take my chances.

I buy mine from a large reputable british company. I also have used sunbeds, and other electrical hair products around my face, with the potential of exploding so I'll take my chances.

Ah well then love that says it all, I mean there's no way sunbeds linked to cancer is there (that's sarcasm). Other than that fag in Florida I've not heard of any facial products that could "potentially" explode.

And the British company buy them from China. So.....