You wouldn't buy your kid a Reindeer at Christmas..

So don't buy them a Rabbit / Guinea pig for Easter! :rant:

Hmmmm, someone said to me earlier that she bought her 5 year old a kitten for her birthday. I kept my mouth shut because I really could have ranted about that!

Come on people the OP is trying to make a sensible and very pertinent point, please don't spoil her thread, to someone picking up the pieces from people buying animals with no real thought as to what will happen to them after "Easter" this is a very serious situation.

Hmmmm, someone said to me earlier that she bought her 5 year old a kitten for her birthday. I kept my mouth shut because I really could have ranted about that!

:|

Why?

My Dad brought me a kitten home, when I was 9 years old, from a litter that had been born at the steel works.

The Mum cat was ferral, and Dad warned me that he may only live to be about 6 or so.

I called him Tige :), He prefered to live outside, and I loved him and he loved me :love:... for 11 years.

Why?

My Dad brought me a kitten home, when I was 9 years old, from a litter that had been born at the steel works.

The Mum cat was ferral, and Dad warned me that he may only live to be about 6 or so.

I called him Tige :), He prefered to live outside, and I loved him and he loved me :love:... for 11 years.

Not wanting to speak for the OP but I guess that from her side of things she sees things differently, its lovely that you kept your kitten, of course many people will keep the pet and love it for all of its life...but many many others will dump it onto someone else as soon as the novelty wears off, its not easy being the person to pick up the pieces :(

I've missed your wisdom Moonbird :)

You must be a rarity on here then :hihi: where have you been hiding out?

I do know these things you see because I am also a person that every now and then picks up the pieces and does their best to make sad lost little creatures happy again...its not nice to see them like that, its also expensive.

Today I have lost a pig that had been bought for a kids birthday, and subsiquently dumped on me because the parents couldnt be bothered with it anymore.

I'm sorry, but I am sick to the back teeth of people buying animals, of ANY kind without any forethought about the responsibility they have for the health and welfare of that animal.

About 1/3 of the pigs I have are rescues, given up because people are "allergic", are moving and cant take the animal to their new home, so instead dump them on my doorstep.

Its about time people thought long and hard before buying a life, because ultimately thats what you are doing. If you can't dedicate upto 8 years to a guinea pig/rabbit buy a stuffed one!

Why?

There's a difference in the understanding of how to treat and take care of a pet between a 5 year old and a 9 year old. However, while I was writing this I suddenly realised I was only 7 when a family friend brought a kitten for me from someone who said they'd drown the litter if they didn't find homes! I'd wanted a cat since I was 4 but my mum claimed to be frightened of cats. He became a much loved and pampered member of our family for the next 13 years. Moonbird is right, it depends on the family & their attitude to animals - although we were completely unprepared for a kitten in our lives we knew he needed love and care and we gave him that unstintingly.

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 20:23 ----------

Today I have lost a pig that had been bought for a kids birthday, and subsiquently dumped on me because the parents couldnt be bothered with it anymore.

I'm sorry, but I am sick to the back teeth of people buying animals, of ANY kind without any forethought about the responsibility they have for the health and welfare of that animal.

About 1/3 of the pigs I have are rescues, given up because people are "allergic", are moving and cant take the animal to their new home, so instead dump them on my doorstep.

Its about time people thought long and hard before buying a life, because ultimately thats what you are doing. If you can't dedicate upto 8 years to a guinea pig/rabbit buy a stuffed one!

A brilliant post from someone at the sharp end of other people's callous thoughtlessness.

Well said Peaches.:)

Btw - the OP - some of them probably would if they could keep it on their back garden and they were easy to source or get rid of when the novelty wore off !! Nothing surprises me any more :(

You must be a rarity on here then :hihi: where have you been hiding out?

I do know these things you see because I am also a person that every now and then picks up the pieces and does their best to make sad lost little creatures happy again...its not nice to see them like that, its also expensive.

I'm a rarity for sure and I've not been far away ;)

Excellent Post - Well Said :)