You wouldn't buy your kid a Reindeer at Christmas..

My post was deleted :suspect:

There was once a time when most people on here knew Brude and me well enough to know that buying him a pet would make far more sense than most people buying a small child one :rolleyes:

It was a standing joke here for a while

:|

Why?

My Dad brought me a kitten home, when I was 9 years old, from a litter that had been born at the steel works.

The Mum cat was ferral, and Dad warned me that he may only live to be about 6 or so.

I called him Tige :), He prefered to live outside, and I loved him and he loved me :love:... for 11 years.

I think the OP is talking about parents getting pets for children on a whim, of course there's nothing wrong with getting a carefully considered family pet :)

My parents adopted a cat from RSPCA when I was about 3 and my sister was about 5, mainly for us although of course they knew they'd have to do much of the looking after, she was sadly put down when I was 21 :(

Today I have lost a pig that had been bought for a kids birthday, and subsiquently dumped on me because the parents couldnt be bothered with it anymore.

I'm sorry, but I am sick to the back teeth of people buying animals, of ANY kind without any forethought about the responsibility they have for the health and welfare of that animal.

About 1/3 of the pigs I have are rescues, given up because people are "allergic", are moving and cant take the animal to their new home, so instead dump them on my doorstep.

Its about time people thought long and hard before buying a life, because ultimately thats what you are doing. If you can't dedicate upto 8 years to a guinea pig/rabbit buy a stuffed one!

I have just over 50 guinea pigs presently , many were the same as Peaches

and agree that unless the adults and not the child are responsible for the animal then you maybe shouldn't have one , All my rescues will be rehomed with the specific phrase , you can bring them back if it doesn't work !!

I would imagine that the OP has repeated first hand experience of being asked to take on other peoples 'pet gifts' when they are no longer wanted. This most likely peaks after Easter time because people will buy 'cute' bunnies & guinea pigs for the kids at Easter, who can soon grow tired of them after the Easter break. She's just asking for people to stop & think it through before they go off & get one, is all.

Today I have lost a pig that had been bought for a kids birthday, and subsiquently dumped on me because the parents couldnt be bothered with it anymore.

I'm sorry, but I am sick to the back teeth of people buying animals, of ANY kind without any forethought about the responsibility they have for the health and welfare of that animal.

About 1/3 of the pigs I have are rescues, given up because people are "allergic", are moving and cant take the animal to their new home, so instead dump them on my doorstep.

Its about time people thought long and hard before buying a life, because ultimately thats what you are doing. If you can't dedicate upto 8 years to a guinea pig/rabbit buy a stuffed one!

Just wanted to add that that's a superb post. :clap:

Again, another was lost today due to poor care.

If this post stops ONE person think harder before adopting a life, then I am happy

Just wanted to add that that's a superb post. :clap:

Again, another was lost today due to poor care.

If this post stops ONE person think harder before adopting a life, then I am happy

a "plus 1" from me on both counts!